State Center Results

That looks great bobby!
How did you get those chunks on the right? Did you pull them off the butt or cut them?
I assume the piece to the left was the money muscle.

Very nice lookin box boys!! I concure it's a niner.
In fact I'm adding it to my file of box pics.
Thanks
ModelMaker

The pieces on the right are just chunks with lots of bark. It looks like the bottom right is cut, but it must just be the angle of the picture. Yes, the left was the $$$, which was our weekend highlight.

While I have always felt that my pork has been good, it has never scored well. So...help me out - what is the money muscle? I am guessing it is one on the bone...maybe?

Great looking box! On the sliced pork how do you get such nice round sauced pieces...are you trimming to get that prior to cooking? Do you take the butt to around 175 for slicing? If you dont want to reveal your methods thats ok too :)

Great looking box! On the sliced pork how do you get such nice round sauced pieces...are you trimming to get that prior to cooking? Do you take the butt to around 175 for slicing? If you dont want to reveal your methods thats ok too :)

Both pictures with the slices are from the $$$ muscle. I trim mine to layout while cooking to get a ring almost all way around and cook till 195.

BTW. What part of iowa you from? Also, make sure you go to Cattle call and anounce yourself. Glad to have you around.

Jay, Awesome job dude!
I just might have to cash in that dent for some secrets!!
I should say "better luck next time" to you guys...BUT...I gotta compete against ya next week:icon_devil!
How'd your ribs do Ray?

Both pictures with the slices are from the $$$ muscle. I trim mine to layout while cooking to get a ring almost all way around and cook till 195.

BTW. What part of iowa you from? Also, make sure you go to Cattle call and anounce yourself. Glad to have you around.

Thanks Mayor...thats what I thought, by layout you mean you trim around it so it can gather smoke, be glazed, etc correct? Do the slices hold together still at 195??

Im in NC Iowa North of Mason City, I've been to Cattle call must have missed ya:-D

Thanks Mayor...thats what I thought, by layout you mean you trim around it so it can gather smoke, be glazed, etc correct? Do the slices hold together still at 195??

Correct.
I haven't had a problem with it not holding together. Slices have to be cut about 3/4 inch.

Im in NC Iowa North of Mason City, I've been to Cattle call must have missed ya:-D

Now that you say NC Iowa, I think I remember you.
Welcome aboard again.

Jay, Awesome job dude!
I just might have to cash in that dent for some secrets!!
I should say "better luck next time" to you guys...BUT...I gotta compete against ya next week:icon_devil!
How'd your ribs do Ray?

Thanks Mike, we will see you at Mtown. I think Ray has forgotten all about SC and moved on. Maybe you can talk him into the scoring details this weekend.

How'd your ribs do Ray?

You don't want to know.:eek:.
The best part of it is, after some investagation, research and reflextion, I know what happen, why it happened and what to do to correct myself. I don't always have that luxury.

I have one goal this year, and that is to be first in the state in ribs.
I have a 3rd, a 2nd, now I need a first.

Ray, how many IA comps are you doing? IBS takes your each team's top 4 finishes per catagory to determine the state winner right?

Yep, top 4 out of any Iowa comp. I hope to get 5 done, that way we can toss SC.
It also matters how big the contest is, so M'town is more important to do well than SC. And if Ankeny is bigger than SC, that will be even better for me. (If I do well that is).

Back