THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jeffsee

Full Fledged Farker
Hey all,

I received my stainless steel drum from Bubba's Barrels on Friday. I had already received the Big Poppa's EDS kit (that was why I sold the 18.5" WSM)

I'm still waiting on the lid (looks like Monday), but I got a good start on the drum, itself.

As you can see, I have the bottle opener installed already (priorities!). :thumb:

The stainless wreaks havoc on the step bits, so I do not yet have the 3/4" air intake holes finished yet. I'm thinking I'm going to need a knockout punch to finish the job. :boxing:

As you can see, the stainless kit from BPS look real nice on that stainless drum. :hail:

One quirky issue is with the vent slides. Since all barrels are not standard, you may have to "reshape" the vent slide to fit your barrel. :frusty:

Hopefully, I'll get that knockout punch tomorrow and get the air intakes done. Once the lid arrives, I will get it dirty. :hungry:

SOOOOO close.

I can't afford my own knockout punches, so I'm going to try going with a 3/4" black oxide bit to get the 8 holes in the lid and 8 holes in the intake vents.

That drum is coming along great! I can't wait to move out of my apartment and into a house where I can finally build my own drum. Anyways, I think you should look in the tool section on craigslist. I often see knockouts on there

That is a spectacular looking drum smoker... no ugly in that one! where did you order your ss lid from?

The lid came from Bubba's Barrels, as well. Honestly, for $317 I got a SS barrel (1.5mm thick, not the standard .9mm - 1.0mm), lid, shipping, and tig welding to fill vent holes at top of barrel.

This thing looks and feels SOLID. I hope to get it dirty tonight if I can get those 3/4" holes done. SS is TERRORIZING my bits.

Question...

So it looks like I can get a Greenlee 1/2" knockout punch for about $30. The actual hole opening is 7/8". As long as ALL 16 holes (8 exhaust and 8 intake) are 7/8", that should be OK, right? It looks like it will be too difficult to drill through this 1.5mm SS with a bit 16 times.

Back