Soooo, how did you get your start?

Not much bbq growing up, except for fundraisers. I really liked it. So the initial burn was a friend and I camping around 12 or 13 in the woods near our house (You could do such back then). We had one cut up bird, one can of charcoal lighter fluid, a bottle of original Kraft sauce, and a steel grate. A pine limb fire was started, and the bird went on, a few squirts of Gulf Lite every few seconds to " keep the fire going". About 15 minutes in, the sauce went on, and after 20 minutes total, then it was " Time to Eat!". I still remember how juicy the chicken was. Good thing it had gotten dark...

Dang, I must be the oldest guy to respond so far.

About 1966 when I was 10 I watched my Dad grill burgers and hot dogs for the Family. He would put the coals in and got out the lawn mower gas to light them. I used to love the way it flamed on. Good times and good food for a young kid.

When about 12 we had a Family reunion in Arkansas. My parents moved to Louisiana from there. Grand parents along with my Dad taught me how to fish and hunt and survive. Good times. The reunion was at my grandmother's sisters house. They also owned a chicken ranch with 3 long houses. Aunt Nina would ring a fat chickens neck and have it plucked in no time. They threw the birds on some kind of open fire pit and to this day It's the best chicken I've ever tasted.

Got older and met my soon to be Bride of 44 years in 1972. I was 15 and she was 16. She had no clue how to cook then. My Mother tried show her how to make gravy with biscuits. LuzziAnn tried it and, Have you ever heard of exploding gravy with Ellie May biscuits? Gravy with flour pockets on hockey puck biscuits. When I tried to cut it with a fork these little white flour explosions would Puff out. Little did I know at the time she was also Cajun French. Suffice to say the rest is history.

To make a long story longer after a hitch in the USAF we moved back to Shreveport. After alot of blood, sweat and tears we bought a house. I bought a Sunbeam Gas Grill! I (thought) I was the Baddest kid on the block. Bought the cheapest steaks because wanted my 2 by now kids to have steak! I know now that I cooked them into shoe leather. I would ask the family, "How's the steak"? They would say Great in between tuff bites.

We bought a bigger house. That's when I met "Tha Master". Our next door neighbor came over to introduce and welcome us to the area. We became close Friends. Both our kids were the same age. One day we were setting on my back patio in the summer enjoying some cold beers. He had a wood fired rig along with several other pits and grills. All of a sudden he looked up and said "You can't even cook Toast". I did not retort. I just thought OK, I will learn how to make good BBQ. Did a web search and found this place 8 years ago. In my sig it says "The artist formally know as Toast". Since my Lovely Bride and I have retired I changed my screen name because Thanks to the BBQ Brethren we've met in person or online some of the finest folks around.

And "Tha Master" has since moved away but they still come to visit. I thank him for waking me to this great hobby and skill.

Sorry to be so longwinded.

Best Regards to All the Brethren.

Took a trip to Austin, TX, tried the BBQ there and was blown away. Came back and bought a COS that I modified to be a pretty darn good unit- still using it 10 years later. During that time I've had a pellet pooper (got rid of it after a few months), a UDS, and my prized possession, a Lonestar vertical cabinet. Years later I'm still only about 85% of what the Austin Q is- but that's still some pretty darn good BBQ.

I was born with a BBQ bone in my body. I slay all these fools who think they can produce better bbq then me.

I am joking, but lets see how many up tight members take offense.

You remind me of a couple people...el luchador and someone else - some kind of canoe...I bet you throw batteries at eagles games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it was growing up watching the grilling. My dad would cook burgers and dogs on a basic charcoal grill setup. For Memorial Day he usually did some ribs. Only time I remember anything being smoked was turkey once or twice on an electric smoker.

We would go over to a family friend's place in the 70's, and they'd do burgers and sausage on a grill. That sausage usually came off charred black, but that's all I knew and thought it was supposed to be that way!

First time I tried grilling burgers I was about 12 and used tongs instead of a spatula to turn them so they fell apart. But I had caught the love for it!

Had a hibachi in college: loved it. Got a gasser when I first got married: hated it.

First tried smoking a brisket on a COS around 20 years ago. WAY undercooked, like a roast but I loved the process!

Nowadays I grill and smoke on a regular basis, periodically trying and learning new techniques. It's therapeutic and a relative bargain compared with restaurant prices.

My grandma threw a big cookout every summer and even had a brick pit built where she would cook a suckling pig and i would help with the seasoning and lighting charcoal then my dad when we got our house would grill all the time made the best home made bbq sauce i can think of and when i finally got a place where i could grill i started on a no name gas grill from home depot and the push button igniter conked out the first weekend but made some great food and was ultra reliable. Our last move the grill was left behind and i got a Weber kettle used that for a year now I'm on a pellet pro 440

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

Although my Dad never grilled a day in his life, I been grilling since I was twenty-something...
The night I met my wife I asked her if she could cook. She said yes she was a very good cook. And she was right. The question I failed to ask was are you willing to cook................

Add to that she says I make too much mess when I cook indoors...

So I cook outside. All year long. I win! :clap2:

Grew up in Los Angels, I always remember a gas grill in the back yard. When I was 10 I got to help with my oldest brother's "Alibaba " chicken. My job was to chant Alibaba while he cooked.
First memory of serious cooking with fire was when I was a CIT at camp. I ran the grill for the overnight sleepouts. 300 frozen premade burgers. After that I'd always run the grill for pool parties and the like.
By my senior year in highschool I really got into cooking in general and got my first weber kettle. Mostly chicken and tri tips.
I knew I didnt know how to cook, so I took a semester off in college and went to culinary school.
When I got back to college I had a deal with my friends that they buy the food and I'll cook it. A friend showed up with a 15lb packer brisket as a joke, and I tried to cook it my my kettle (it was terrible) but I was hooked.
Got more kettles and more accessories over the next 10 years.
I got the primo and Santa Maria before my 2nd daughter was born 5 years ago and the Pint before my 3rd was born in December.

My Mom was an exceptional cook so Dad did not cook often but when he did he preferred to BBQ. Summertime with the family in early to mid-80’s meant going to the lake for swimming and grilling at least once a week.

There was Weber 22 kettle on the dock that Dad would fill with Kingsford briqs and douse with lighter fluid and the ensuing fireball was always something I looked forward to. He always let the lighter fluid burn off and coals go near white before cooking, what seemed like an loooong time when you are young, impatient and hungry for Dad’s steaks. He would marinate in combo or red wine vinegar, oil, onion slices and SPG while the kettle and coals were getting ready. The smell, the taste, the fresh corn on the cob, the splash of water, the big one that got away...bbq at the dock was a special family time.

Fast forward to the mid-90’s and we begin annual family reunion pig roasts. Darn near every summer from 1994 to 2017 my Dad and I would cook a whole pig. It was during the first few years with my Dad, a pig, a pile of wood and a coffee/beer when I started on what has since been a lifelong obsession of fire and food.

We mostly roasted the pig rotisserie style over coals and wood, as in the photos circa ‘96 below, but on a few occasions smoked them in a cooker we fashioned from an old propane tank the neighbor gave us. No matter how it was cooked it was always the best of times and I sure wish I could spin a pig with him again.

Thanks for starting this thread Robb, it made me find down a few old pics on a trip down memory lane.

Attachments

• 6FB07CDE-401D-4F0A-BCE0-C283D321EA83.jpg
    6FB07CDE-401D-4F0A-BCE0-C283D321EA83.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 190
  • B6E71017-DF31-46E8-8F9B-A5D1229C9AAF.jpg
    B6E71017-DF31-46E8-8F9B-A5D1229C9AAF.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 185
  • D912B224-A67A-41F7-B305-4838B0DAC0F6.jpg
    D912B224-A67A-41F7-B305-4838B0DAC0F6.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 188
I bought my first yard sale hibachi in 1978 and made burnt offerings. In the early 80's I made a new friend who was from Corpus Christi and had a cooker jjst ike a PK but I think it was a Kenmore or a New Braunfels. Anyway, an aluminum box with four vents. Same basic design. It made the best damn chicken.

But I still didn't know much about Q.

Got married in 91 and was given a Brinkmann upright smoker. tried it a couple times as disastrously as could be without actually burning a structure down.

Also got a gas grill as a present, and started using that. got pretty good with it.

In the 90's I started traveling nationally for work and got into regional BBQ. What really opened my eyes was Mike Anderson's in Dallas. Had not have smoked brisket before and it was awesome. I was hooked.

But I didn't get anything to smoke on until around 2010 hen I got my PK.

Right after high school back in 1971 I worked with a man 12 years older than I. He and I rented a house together. He BBQ'ed something everyday He could grill or smoke anything. He taught me everything about Q. I married and we remained good friends and cooked together often.
To this day I say he cooked the best ever. Wife says it's because It's what I grew use to. Back in late 60 early 70s there was no internet and few books around but my friend knew everything about BBQ. I owe my mentor a huge thanks

Been cooking steak, burgers and chicken on Weber Kettle for years. Got the smoking bug after watching the BBQ Comp shows on TV. Did ribs on Weber for a couple of years using the snake method. Then started looking at pellet grills and the WSM. When I saw a review on the Pit Barrel Cooker on Amazingribs.com I just had to get it. Now I smoke just about any meat I can. Still love it. Thanks for asking!

I guess it started for me with my Dad. As far back as I can remember, the only cooking he ever did was on a gas grill in the backyard: year round, sun or snow, while my Mom took care of everything else. He was always home by 5:15 and dinner was always with the family on the table at 6. He would cook sirloins or bone in pork chops with Lowery’s Season Salt (the extent of the seasoning in our house besides S&P) or sometimes the occasional hot dog. Fond memories of family time and grilled meat that shaped my pallet and made me want to be just like my Dad.

My Mom was an exceptional cook so Dad did not cook often but when he did he preferred to BBQ. Summertime with the family in early to mid-80’s meant going to the lake for swimming and grilling at least once a week.

There was Weber 22 kettle on the dock that Dad would fill with Kingsford briqs and douse with lighter fluid and the ensuing fireball was always something I looked forward to. He always let the lighter fluid burn off and coals go near white before cooking, what seemed like an loooong time when you are young, impatient and hungry for Dad’s steaks. He would marinate in combo or red wine vinegar, oil, onion slices and SPG while the kettle and coals were getting ready. The smell, the taste, the fresh corn on the cob, the splash of water, the big one that got away...bbq at the dock was a special family time.

Fast forward to the mid-90’s and we begin annual family reunion pig roasts. Darn near every summer from 1994 to 2017 my Dad and I would cook a whole pig. It was during the first few years with my Dad, a pig, a pile of wood and a coffee/beer when I started on what has since been a lifelong obsession of fire and food.

We mostly roasted the pig rotisserie style over coals and wood, as in the photos circa ‘96 below, but on a few occasions smoked them in a cooker we fashioned from an old propane tank the neighbor gave us. No matter how it was cooked it was always the best of times and I sure wish I could spin a pig with him again.

Thanks for starting this thread Robb, it made me find down a few old pics on a trip down memory lane.

Oh man, there’s some good times pictured here :)

Right after high school back in 1971 I worked with a man 12 years older than I. He and I rented a house together. He BBQ'ed something everyday He could grill or smoke anything. He taught me everything about Q. I married and we remained good friends and cooked together often.
To this day I say he cooked the best ever. Wife says it's because It's what I grew use to. Back in late 60 early 70s there was no internet and few books around but my friend knew everything about BBQ. I owe my mentor a huge thanks

A mentor like that is an absolute blessing! :)

Back