smoker needed

nmeyer414

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
so since there is not really a place for cooking equipment, and I am in need of recommendations for smokers, I will just put it here.

don, maybe another section in my area for cooking equipment?
huh.gif
?

all right folks, I had a Bradley electric smoker that took the little wood pucks/bisquettes as the fuel for smoke and have since had to give it back to the owner (a friend was storing some stuff at my house after his divorce). there are really 3 BIG issues on why I would not buy one of those as a replacement. those 3 issues are

1. the system only has a 500w capacity and that is split between the heating element that cooks the product and the heating element that burns the wood pucks/bisquettes to generate the smoke. I have called and talked to the company to see if they offer a bigger heating element and they do not?
huh.gif

2. since they use sawdust type pucks/bisquettes, they only place you can find them is either amazon or at an actual cabelas store (the closest store to me is in Lubbock which is 300+ miles)

3. the thing was very temperamental when it came to heat regulation. because the heat capacity was very limited, I had to actually use it in my garage where I could control the environment.

so here are my thoughts on what I am actually looking for and or direction I am wanting to go in.

1. big wood burning smokers: are really nice to look at and can only do a limited amount of meat (depending on the size that you are running). wood burning smokers take a lot of fiddling with to get the temps just right and also to keep them at constant temps ("cant set it and forget it"). being that this area does not really have a lot of trees, I would have to purchase the wood that would be burned/used as fuel. so in reality I am not leaning towards a wood burning smoker unless somebody can give me some information that I may be totally missing. (I have a really nice gas grill with cast brass burners that i have had for something like 8 years and it is still in awesome condition, so i am not looking for another grill?)

2. electric smokers: I really am not opposed to another electric smoker, as long as I could find one that is in a relatively low price range. I have seen a few really nice looking electric smokers that are upwards of 1400w, and are upwards of $600-$2500 cost. another draw back to these models are that you can not "set it and forget it", you have to pay close attention to the level of wood that you have in the hopper and have to constantly be adding more wood for the smoke. the Bradley was convenient in that regards because each puck was rated for 20 minutes and you could just load up the hopper, set the smoke time and the cook time and just walk away and check it every so often to make sure i wasn't burning down my garage.

3. gas powered smokers: now with the gas powered smokers, i would have better regulation of the heat in outdoor environments but would not be able to "set it and forget it" because i would have to monitor the level of the wood chips in the hopper area. now i have seen a few from amazon that have 3 separate compartments (1. product section, 2. water/drip pan section, 3. wood chip hopper section) they are rated at something like 15k BTU and the landmann ones have a cast brass burner. with the 3 different section, i would be able to add more wood chips and not have to open the main compartment and lose smoke and or heat. in reality I would have more control over the "set it and forget it" concept and would also not have to interrupt the smoking/cooking process. here are a few links to the ones I was looking at.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Landmann%20Smoky%20Mountain%20Premium%2038%20in.%20Vertical%20LP%20Gas%20Smoker%20with%20Two%20External%20Drawers%20Wide%20Body"]Amazon.com: Landmann Smoky Mountain Premium 38 in. Vertical LP Gas Smoker with Two External ...@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31k2RU6kosL.@@AMEPARAM@@31k2RU6kosL[/ame]

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/masterbuilt-extra-large-vertical-propane-smoker/pid-929807?N=578824977&Ntt=smokers&Ntk=All

I am really leaning towards the landmann wide body one and have not really decided positive or negative on the masterbuilt one?

let me also add a few things/stipulations.

1. I am not at a permanent location (I retire in just over a year and will most likely be moving) so building a permanent smoking structure for the long term is out of the question.

2. as stated above, I am not looking for another "grilling" option because I have one of those and am pretty darn set on grilling with gas instead of charcoal.

3. I am very limited at the moment on what fabrication tools / processes I have at my disposal

4. $$$$ is a factor to an extent, but can be over looked for a really good quality product.

so what are your comments and or options that you can offer me?

What would be your biggest cook? It sounds like you need a UDS or WSM. Depending on how much you cook you might be looking at an insulated cabinet but that will be the more expensive option.

the things that I smoke are, home made sausage, summer sausage, ribs, turkeys and chickens, pork butts.

I am also wanting to venture into maybe some cold smoking for jerkey and or cheese's.

WSM would be my choice for what you are looking for. It's a simple smoker very easy clean up and comes with a nice cover. It takes some getting use to but once you do it puts out a nice product. It would help to know your budget. If you prefer gas you may like a gas smoker but if it is because of convenience then try out a pellet smoker like a traeger. It is just as convenient as gas but you can get a nice smoke flavor. Some say it is too light just leave it on the smoke setting longer and it is fine. Make sure you have a pellet source though.

pjtexas1, what kind of a smoker is that you have as your avatar?

It's an Abe's Smokers 48" Entertainer insulated cabinet smoker but he went out of business. Great cooker, young irresponsible builder/owner. It is a shame because they are built like a tank, use hardly any fuel, can fit 12 briskets and look cool. I would recommend a Humphrey's if you are looking for something similar.

Edit: dang Smitty beat me to it!

Use one of these for Cold Smoking in Masterbuilt Electric

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LV2OCNM/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1423966047&sr=8-3&keywords=Smoke+tube+bbq&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=41zXiKhbFtL&ref=plSrch"]A-Maze-n Tube Smoker 12" with Apple BBQ Pellets, 1 lb.:Amazon:patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41zXiKhbFtL.@@AMEPARAM@@41zXiKhbFtL[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0048HU34Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1423966136&sr=8-3&keywords=40%22+Masterbuilt&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=41yu%2Bp3F07L&ref=plSrch"]Masterbuilt 20070311 40-Inch Top Controller Electric Smoker with Window and RF Controller:Amazon:patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41yu%2Bp3F07L.@@AMEPARAM@@41yu%2Bp3F07L[/ame]

If you don't want to go the charcoal route you could try a pellet grill. Definitely meets the set it and forget it criteria. The one I have has a 40lb hopper which will easily last you through any cook you come up with (especially where you are)

I don't know if the pellets are easily available there. They are here but personally I've started buying them from Amazon as they don't cost any more and since I'm a prime member it's nice to have them delivered to the door.

the pellet smoker is looking pretty good right now. they have a dealer in las cruces and I can get pellets at academy. (I really hate el paso)

the pellet smoker is looking pretty good right now. they have a dealer in las cruces and I can get pellets at academy. (I really hate el paso)

I lived down there for about 7 years in the mid 90s. Right now I'd be more than happy to be back. It's not snowing and yet due to the wind I can only see a couple hundred yards due to the blowing snow. Its about 0 here without the wind and is going to drop to -10 or so tonight -- negative 30ish with the wind chill. I grill year round but definitely not today.

On the smoker, not sure what brand you are looking at -- am guessing it's Traeger as they are the most common. They work well though there are other options that I think are better for similar money (though may come with a shipping cost) I choose Rec Tec though considered GMG and Yoder as well. On the Traeger, Costco periodically carries it and when they do it's a few hundred less than you'd probably see at the dealer. Up here they don't have it at the moment but it's something you might want to check into before you buy.

nmeyer414,

I understand your dilemma with choosing a smoker...

Many of us have gone through this process at one time or another trying to choose what works best for us. Some have gone on the recomendation of another only to repeat the selection process a second time. What works great for one person does not necessarily work good for another person.

Everyone loves their own smokers they have and they all feel their smoker is the best, mainly because it suits their needs well. People are individuals and needs change from person to person and area to area just like anything else.

My suggestion to you is to figure out what you need, not what you think you want.

Start by deciding what you wish to use for fuel, do you want a stick burner that may require a lot of attention,as you indicated. electrics don't have the ability for higher heats and some require loading chips every hour or less. Pellet smokers work well, but are not without short falls like other smokers. There are charcoal smokers as well as well insulated charcoal smokers. The insulated smokers can burn all night on an eight pound load of lump charcoal. Consider and calculate your fuel costs then move on to accessing your other needs like size, capacity, adjustable shelving, vertical or horizontal, reverse flow, and so on.....

Many, many years ago I started with an offset that was a fuel hog and required attending the fire every one to two hours. This just wasn't for me especially on long overnight cooks. Lack of sleep tending the fire made the events a non-enjoyable event for me.

I later tried a propane smoker for a second cooker that also worked well to some degree. The downside of the propane smoker was the temperature control, basically an uninsulated cabinet with an open draft so the propane can cleanly burn and be exhaust vented as well. The burner could not keep a low desired temperature, but would work well at about 300 degrees. This smoker also required adding wood chips every 30 to 40 minutes, using chunks would buy an hour or more at times. I would even add a combination of pellets and wood chunks to try and get a better smoke flavor.

I had always avoided charcoal smokers because all I knew of were the briquettes that leave a foul taste on grilled food in my past grilling experiences.

I then went to a competition with a friend and saw all of the different smokers that I never knew existed. This is what I would suggest for you.... Visit a competition as a spectator, many manufacturers are present with their smokers with a first hand look at them.

The plus side to visiting is that if you find one that meets your needs, sometimes you can buy the model there at a slight discount and save shipping as well. This is not always the case with distant manufactures so don't go expecting this.

I saw an insulated reverse flow charcoal smoker and learned about clean burning lump charcoal. This was a turning point for me to reconsider the use of clean charcoal as a fuel.

Insulated charcoal cookers can run unattended for longer lengths of time when the airflow is properly adjusted. Sometimes you may have to add more charcoal for longer cooks, but it is not always the case. The insulated charcoal cookers that are extremely fuel efficient, these can cook 12 to 14 hours unattended.

There are also pellet cookers cookers where special needs can come into play. Places that don't allow charcoal or gas grills, these can often fill the void. Many competition teams use pellet smokers with outstanding results. Pellets are readily availble almost anywhere, and places like Treager will ship for free with the purchase of 2 or 3 bags of pellets.

You could wind up in disappointment and be stuck with a smoker you are not happy with for a long time if you let someone else choose your smoker for you. Bottom line is what works for someone else may not always work for you.

Just like my Humprey's, I agree it's not for everyone, because everybody has different needs and wants.

I bought a tall vertical smoker that can accommodate hanging 50+ pounds of sausage for cold smoking. It can also hold full size hotel pans with ample air/smoke flow around them, adjustable shelving, and cold/hot smoke capabilities were an important need for me. I am one of the few who make cold smoked sausage in large quantities, that was one of the criteria for choosing my smoker. Not every one has these requirements and the smoker could easily be an albatross to someone who does not have these same needs. The smoker is extremely heavy and is not portable, so unless it was mounted on a trailer it could not be easily used in competitions.

My suggestion would be to make a list of your needs and then a list of your wants, somewhere in between lies your compromise. Concentrate on your true needs and then try to incorporate some of your wants. Sit down and logically think of your largest cook you would need to do, then figure your needs for hanging, shelves, pans, ect. Size, options, and price all all very important in the needs category. Work on your lists and compare them to the smokers you wish to consider.

The bottom line is that you are spending you hard earned money, and only you will make the final decision on your purchase... But most importantly only you will have to live with your choice and use the cooker you choose... whether it is a good or a bad decision on your behalf. Also remember while many times it is true that you get what you pay for, the uneducated consumer could also get a lot less then what they paid for. Hindsight is always 20/20, so I would suggest that you do your homework with a passion. Take suggestions, but it is up to you to see if it is true, and if it it work for your needs.

I would suggest while you make your decision, build a UDS to cook with, it is inexpensive and it will give you some insight in your choice.

If it is any help to you, here is a link to a post for what I used to make my final selection..
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2471312&postcount=1

Last edited:
Just one observation on the electric smokers comments: they don't all burn pellets. Mine takes chunks or, with a perforated plate, chips. You can definitely set it and forget it: put in 6 - 8 oz. of chunks, plug in the Maverick, and go do something else until the meat's done. That one small load of chunks will last the entire smoke, and you can probably buy the chunks at your local hardware store.

I think everyone has covered the waterfront on your smoker options.

On El Paso, I am sitting at the Houston airport on my way back from El Paso. I thought it was a pretty cool place for the time I was there and admittedly in comparison to Eagle Pass, the other border city I have spent time in. I just setup a new charitable bingo hall on Montana and Grama, Casa Bingo. Go check them out on Fridays and Saturdays if you are into it...

Back