THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bbqbull

Watching over us.
My awesome neighbors are getting married in May. These awesome neighbors have a 3 yr old little girl too.

They go out of there way to help us out and we are planning on getting them a smoker. I have been making them a few pork butts. They love them. The man of the house is not very good at cooking but an excellent mechanic. He takes care of several millions of dollars worth of farm equipment as well as all their semi trucks and trailers.
We want to get them a bbq grill/smoker as a Wedding gift.

I have 3 options in my head right now.

#1 is a Pit Barrel Cooker.
#2 is a 22" Weber Grill.
#3 is a 18" Weber Smokey Mountain.

They are planning on have a couple more kids but I want them to get going on their own with me helping out where I can. My problem is that Ive never cooked a a big Weber grill or a Smokey Mountain. PBC no problems. P.S. They work really long hours and I want to make things very very simple for them to start out.
Thoughts?:icon_shy
Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:
Has he hinted that it would be something he is interested in? If so, I say 2 so he can grill or smoke easy.

I would say that any of the three would be great...especially if he has someone to give him a bit of guidance.

The 22" Weber would probably be best for time constraints, fast burgers, chops and steaks-dogs for the kids! Great versatility. The WSM may require a bit more time and patience. PBC owners seem very happy as they must have some thick skin.

You are a good man, thinking of them and appreciating their struggles.

Buy PBC- watch diligently for #2-3 on Craigslist- garage sales etc

This is just my humblest opinion. Those that have one (barrel cookers in general the PBC in particular) understand.

The line up you mention is gold. Tough to pick just one as they are all excellent.

Last edited:
The 22" Weber Kettle would give them more flexibility. With a little guidance from you he will be cooking up a storm in no time.

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned. A 26.75" Weber Gold One-Touch.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weber-781001-One-Touch-2-Inch-Kettle/dp/B001I8ZU08/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396089843&sr=8-1&keywords=weber+26.75%27%27+one+touch+gold+charcoal+grill"]Amazon.com: Weber 781001 Gold One-Touch 26-1/2-Inch Kettle Grill, Black: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419Bt98Vm3L.@@AMEPARAM@@419Bt98Vm3L[/ame]

Not speaking from personal experience but I'd go with the 22" kettle and a smokenator. Something of the best of both worlds between the WSM and kettle. Would give lots of flexibility

I guess it depends on what you think he will want to do with it, Bull. If it seems like he'll be mainly grilling, then the Weber Kettle is a better choice and he can smoke if he want to play with that, but if you think he'll be mainly smoking then either the PBC or WSM. Either can be use to do some grilling but aren't the ideal setup for that, but both do a great job at smoking.

Did I help? :rolleyes:

I would go with the Weber 22", either a OTG or performer. It's is by far the most versatile cooker out there, they can grill, smoke, add a griddle, a rotisserie, a kettle pizza, cook with pots/pans..... In my opinion it should everyone's first cooker.

You cant go wrong with the 26" Weber Kettle I would go with this if getting a kettle for the larger capacity However I would cosider the WSM as you can also grill on that Please let us know what you decide You are a really good friend

I'm going to assume they'd love a smoker (over a grill) since they enjoy your pork butt. (I'm sure they both have already had their share of both charcoal and gas grills in their lifetimes--a smoker is a much more special present.)

If they are working long hours and have a 3 year old, I'm thinking the PBC.

They probably don't have time to fiddle with vents, look at thermometers, deal with air leaks & initial reflective fussiness, meticulously stack briquettes or have to add fuel mid cook. :snort:

Plus the PBC looks extremely cool! :smile:

Last edited:
It might be overkill, but you could consider the OTG along with an ECB (gourmet), which is what I've got. The gourmet has been a solid smoker for me with only one small mod (adding a charcoal grate to the charcoal pan). That would give your neighbor a great grill and a decent starter smoker for less $$ than the WSM alone.

Plus, if he gets into smoking, he can use his mechanic skills to mod the ECB as much as he wants.

Just a thought.

If I were to answer you question as it was written, I would go OTG as I think it's probably the most versatile for someone new to outdoor cooking.

Just those 3 options...why not the drum kit in the mix? It's professional and only 140 bucks. Can't go wrong with a Weber grill though that would be a awesome gift.

Thank you for all your comments and thoughts.

This morning I got a PM from a fellow Brethren member. He has donated a Pit Barrel Cooker to my cause. It is brand new and still in the box. It will be shipped to my place next week. God Bless the members here on this forum. I will not mention their name but you know who you are. Thank you again for your very generous donation.

Get the PBC. They can swing a grill themselves Im sure. Oh well now I see you for one coming so get them The Kettle. :mrgreen:

I think a 22.5 OTG is the perfect start. A Performer would be even better, but I like the older SS ones better than the new ones. They can grill and even do some great smoking.

Well I guess the question has been answered. Good luck with teaching him how to use it. It was really nice of the member that sent you the gift. Now make sure he signs up here.

Back