Smoked Wings on the Masterbuilt 1050

jlrichar

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
Jason
Here are some smoked wings I did on the Masterbuilt 1050. This is also how to make something that is simple very complicated.

Generally for smoked wings I will cook them when I am cooking something else low and slow. But I am still learning how to use this new cooker, so I decided to try out low and slow with wings. My thinking is that wings are unforgiving of dirty smoke. There is not a ton of meat on the bone, and what is there is very susceptible to added flavors.

If you prefer video, My wife put together one for our blog:

https://thegalavantinggastronome.com/2020/04/18/bbq-smoked-wings/

(This blog is something we are working on while on lockdown, any feedback that is constructive is appreciated.:grin:)

I started with an Oakridge BBQ game changer brine:
picture.php

Just one quart of half strength. I have an instant hot water spigot, so I just use that to dissolve, then bring to 3 cups with room temp water, then add ice to 4 cups:
picture.php

Then I dump into a ziploc with the wings:
picture.php

Into the fridge for a couple of hours:
picture.php

Out of the fridge, rinsed, dried, and back into the fridge while I get the smoker going:
picture.php

picture.php

I got the smoker ready with hickory chunks in the chute with the charcoal, and thick layer in the ash catcher. Started the smoker up, then immediately to 400 for 30 minutes, then down to 170.
When the smoker is ready, I dusted the wings with a little Pappy's Original:
picture.php

Into the smoker @ 170 for a few hours, then 225 for a couple:
picture.php

Then I pulled them to bring smoker up to 350, then back on to get nice color and crisp and then pulled:
picture.php

Actually the 4 on the left were unbrined control wings, just to see if the brining was really required. Two kids, and a wife say brining is required.

Plated with some quick chili beans, and some mustard buttermilk coleslaw:
picture.php

So how did the smoker do? Well I think you can see in the pictures that the smoke looks very light. However these had a lot of smoke flavor--way more any I have done on my pellet. The smoke was very clean but intense flavor. They were fantastic. The smoke reminds me most of the flavor I get out of the Karubaque--It's almost a sweet smoke. Though on the Karubaque I use almost exclusively red-oak since it is what I can get locally with the correct moisture content. This was a hickory version of that.

I've not had a bad cook on the Masterbuilt yet. Hopefully I will have a full review up soon. Thanks for reading.

Looks amazing, I have the 1050 on order. Have you had any problems with temperature variances from the controller to the cooking chamber? Ive heard they run quite different.

We need a youtube video of someone cooking 3 whole chickens. It must include a grease fire, and the chickens skin must be pitch black.

Back