THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stlsportster

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Parental Assigned Label
So I watch the STL Craigslist religiously for Weber’s, smokers, blackstones, etc....ya know. Like we ALL do.

So this comes up yesterday

Year old Shirley 24x42 patio with a couple options asking $2800
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/for/d/shirley-fabrication-smoker/6740693773.html

Now here’s the funny part. St Louis BBQ store has stock units like that. Last year they had a shipment of 8ish. This was one of them. I know because I looked at them. They sold out pretty quick. Then about 10 months went by and they got another shipment. Still have some of them in stock. See here.

https://www.stlbbqstore.com/shirley-fabrication-smokers/

So first, this CL seller is using the stock photo from the BBQ store.

Second. They are selling new 2 shelf models for $2500 and 3 shelf models for $2700. Now they do charge a shipping fee on top. And his has the charcoal grate and an umbrella holder.

But does anyone else think he’s way overpriced?

I’m thinking he should be asking like 1800?

Or is because it’s a Shirley....

If he’d take $1500, I might think about it.

He's asking for more because of the wait list. Pretty standard for most that sell their SF.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So I watch the STL Craigslist religiously for Weber’s, smokers, blackstones, etc....ya know. Like we ALL do.

So this comes up yesterday

Year old Shirley 24x42 patio with a couple options asking $2800
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/for/d/shirley-fabrication-smoker/6740693773.html

Now here’s the funny part. St Louis BBQ store has stock units like that. Last year they had a shipment of 8ish. This was one of them. I know because I looked at them. They sold out pretty quick. Then about 10 months went by and they got another shipment. Still have some of them in stock. See here.

https://www.stlbbqstore.com/shirley-fabrication-smokers/

So first, this CL seller is using the stock photo from the BBQ store.

Second. They are selling new 2 shelf models for $2500 and 3 shelf models for $2700. Now they do charge a shipping fee on top. And his has the charcoal grate and an umbrella holder.

But does anyone else think he’s way overpriced?

I’m thinking he should be asking like 1800?

Or is because it’s a Shirley....

If he’d take $1500, I might think about it.

His price makes no sense. If someone wants the base Shirley patio model without the warmer like his, they can buy new from STL BBQ Store for a lower price. Yes, the charcoal grate is a nice upgrade, but his price is not justified. My guess is he won't get his asking price and will end up selling it for about $2k.

He's asking for more because of the wait list. Pretty standard for most that sell their SF.

Agree, supply and demand. However, he is going to have a difficult time getting that price if the other party knows STLBBQ has them in stock even for the same price, with shipping, for new.

You can always make an offer.

I debated sending him a note about the stock at the store and telling him if he doesn’t sell and will take under 2k to let me know.

Or I could just wait it out and see. If I was gonna pay that price I’d take one of the 3 rack models in stock.

Like the who popped up on here the other day asking $14K for his 24x60 SF and no pictures of it.

That was also on the Fans of Shirley Fabrication Facebook page where he posted one dark pic. It was on a competition trailer with built-in storage boxes, a built-in roof and side panels, electricity, lighting, etc. so maybe not so far out of line as it seemed. As they say a picture tells a thousand words....

Last edited:
He clearly states that all in a new cooker with the same upgrades would cost about $3200...is he lying?

No matter how you price something people are going to try and bring you down in price, so better to start high which allows for some wiggle room. I mean the post is on Craigslist and not something like the Brethren. Outside of this forum I've only heard Shirley's mentioned 2-3 times in the last few years, so it's not like they are super well known among all BBQ people.

I agree that his use of the stock photo is silly and it would make me nervous about even going out there to take a look at the actual cooker.

Paul is no longer taking builds and is just going to finish up with his wait list and Tyler's backlog last time I spoke with him was 32 months . someone will probably pay it just so they do not have to wait and I have sold all my Shirley smokers for what I have paid for them when there was only a 4 month wait and hold their value really well and know one guy that made a $1,000 profit on his .

I just check the STLBBQ page. It states:

All Shirley smokers at this time are to be picked up in St. Louis, Missouri and inbound freight charges will be added to the total.

So I read that as they won't ship, and now the price on their web site is not the REAL price, that they are going to add the shipping costs from Shirley to them onto the price.

If that is the case, shouldn't they just come clean in include this mysterious inbound shipping charge already onto the price listed for all to see?

Like the who popped up on here the other day asking $14K for his 24x60 SF and no pictures of it.

Bob the Member here, not the Mod. Let's not bring up old issues like this. It rarely ends well, and since it's done and buried, best to leave em that way.

Also, it's not up to us to determine how someone else wants to sell their stuff or what they want for it. Personally, I just think that is their business and unless I'm looking to buy or make an offer, then not up to me or anyone else to "fix" their sale for them. Depending on the item and how bad someone wants it...well, anyone will pay just about anything to get what they want. If they got the bank account to fund it, more power to em.

Just a bit of a heads up as we can already see the potential for this topic to take one of those turns where it ends up making work for us.

Just my .02.

Bob

I think i could sell my shirley for a profit. It's clean enough and i think materials and labor have gone up over the last 3-4 years. Probably never part with it but...

….but, after 6 months with the pellet pooper, you'll be selling all your smokers like Adams is doing.:caked: :becky:

also the store does charge the customer a shipping charge but not sure on the anount .

I just check the STLBBQ page. It states:

All Shirley smokers at this time are to be picked up in St. Louis, Missouri and inbound freight charges will be added to the total.

So I read that as they won't ship, and now the price on their web site is not the REAL price, that they are going to add the shipping costs from Shirley to them onto the price.

If that is the case, shouldn't they just come clean in include this mysterious inbound shipping charge already onto the price listed for all to see?

So demand increases and so does price when there is a decreasing supply. While custom builds by Tyler or Paul are certainly in demand, this patio unit is in less demand, proven by the 4 new and 1 used all for sale in the same geographical area.

The shipping charges for the BBQ store is like $350 for the inbound fee. They are adding that to every smoker.

They will still gladly ship to you anywhere for another fee on top of that.

So demand increases and so does price when there is a decreasing supply. While custom builds by Tyler or Paul are certainly in demand, this patio unit is in less demand, proven by the 4 new and 1 used all for sale in the same geographical area.

The shipping charges for the BBQ store is like $350 for the inbound fee. They are adding that to every smoker.

They will still gladly ship to you anywhere for another fee on top of that.

I understand. What I'm saying it that the $350 should already be added into the price. So rather than $2850, it should be listed on the web site for $3,200. It is somewhat misleading. I'm not saying it is meant to be deceitful-but it is misleading.

Imagine walking in to the store:

me: "I'd like to buy the Shirley on your site that is listed for $2850"
Store: "Ah yes. We intentionally put a lower price on the web site. The actual price is $3,200".
me: "huh???"

First, yea, Shirley cookers do hold their value very well. I have rarely seen one at a bargain price (by bargain I mean way less than its list price, I think they are already a bargain)

Second, just because he's asking that doesn't mean he'll get it. I always start high on Craigslist and slowly move down till I get a bite or 2. If anything I would imagine you just sold that cooker for him by posting on this forum. St Louis craiglist isn't nearly the venue for selling a sweet cooker that the BBQ Brethren Q Talk forum is.

Its not like hes trying to turn a profit. If you had a used car and the blue book told you it was worth $5,000 would you sell it for $3500? I would bet he comes real close to getting what he's asking.

Back