Second Generation Prototype Vertical

Cooking grates, fire basket & ash pan

Six cooking grates and a fire basket with integral 3 inch deep ash pan and anti-tilts on the slides. It air intakes on the door align with the top of the ash pan and beginning of the expanded metal.

image_zps8fa08883.jpg

image_zps928a3fd4.jpg

image_zps8618068c.jpg

Waiting on hinges and some more hardware to be delivered so we can do the doors, then we will smooth out any rough spots with the grinder, blast it to get rid of the mill scale and surface rust then paint for the exterior and seasoning for the interior.

Doors!

Got my hinges in via UPS yesterday evening. A big thankyou to brother TuscaloosaQ for help sourcing these bad boys.

image_zpsc409218a.jpg

Decided on something different - french doors!

image_zpse91dbd72.jpg

image_zps4321c2bd.jpg

The internal framing is 3/16x1" flat bar, still need to add a drip sill to redirect and goo to the inside. The doors have a 1" overlap to accommodate gaskets.

Still need to fabricate some latches, but these are going to work pretty neat. They do fold all the way back against the cooker if needed.

Got my shipping notice today on the new paint I'm gonna try that is coming in from Massachusetts.

Nice, are those grease fittings? I like the cabinet door arrangement, takes up less swing space. It is taller than I expected.

Nice, are those grease fittings? I like the cabinet door arrangement, takes up less swing space. It is taller than I expected.

Yes those are grease fittings. I got a bunch with and a bunch without. I've also sourced some 1500* continuous duty synthetic grease.

As it sits on the dolly, it is 54" to the top of the dome, probably add 4"-6" more with the stack.

Potential loads? About 300 pounds of meat? That looks like it could handle it.

Potential loads? About 300 pounds of meat? That looks like it could handle it.

Well, it will have 6@17"x21" cooking grates or about 2150 square inches of cooking surface - for reference that is pretty close to what I get in my RF offset. But the bottom grate on these run about 30*-50* hotter than the rest, so I assumed the bottom grate might be used for a water pan or pan to catch drippings (the size accomodates a 4" full size service pan or the foil equivalent). I based my load estimates on 5 cooking grates so without crowding, that should mean something like:

• 2 racks of full sized spares per rack -10 total, or
  • 3 racks of SL cut or baby backs per rack - 15 total, or
  • 2 spatchcocked chickens per rack - 10 total, or
  • 1 spatchcocked turkey per rack - 5 total, or
  • 2 briskets per rack - 10 total, or
  • 3-4 butts per rack - 15-20 total.

Maybe more, I think I was pretty conservative with my estimates. Also, there will be steel rods in the domed top to allow hanging meats - I have no idea how mush you could hang if you removed all the grates.

One of the things that has me interested in these verticals is the small footprint it takes to cook this kind of volume.

I vote for High Temp CAMO paint job. :mrgreen:

Gee, how did I know this was coming.:razz:

Actually the new paint & primer combo I'm gonna try is formulated for continuous duty of at least 1200* on steel/cast iron wood stoves and comes in about 20 satin colors. The right mix of colors could make a pretty neat camo theme.

We will see.

What was the reason for going with the cabinet doors?

Mostly because I wanted to see if I could build them and how they would work and what they might look like. I'll reserve judgement on any real advantage until I've cooked with them. I will say they do seal up real tight.

I like the french doors, just not sure how your going to incorporate an easy latch system and pressure on the seals.

I like the french doors, just not sure how your going to incorporate an easy latch system and pressure on the seals.

Strong Magnets.

Magnets lose strength when heated...

Nope, not magnets; it will be a bullet proof mechanical closure hidden on the inside of the door. I just walked back in from the shop after building a prototype. Kinda hard to describe but there will be a spring handle on the outside right-side door just off the center line and at the midpoint vertically that will operate a flat cam thingy on the inside so when you turn the handle 45* one attached 1/2" steel rod will go up into a receiver in the top of the door frame and a second attached 1/2" steel rod will go down into the bottom of the door frame. I can put a little bevel on the ends of the rods so when they engage they will draw the door in tight. The left-side door is captive to the right-side so it will be pulled tight too. I want it to be something that can be operated with one hand if necessary. The prototype worked like a champ.

I'll take a couple pics when I fab it up for real.

Back