Science Fair Project: Rub Me The Right Way (And Sauce Like A Boss)!

MisterChrister

Quintessential Chatty Farker
A little side by side action to see how much discernable taste difference I'd notice between different high quality rubs. For reference, I usually don't buy many rubs, preferring to save money and make my own. I recently took notice of the many high praises and accolades the Oakridge rubs were getting, particularly the Carne Crosta. I ordered a lb. of that (and absolutely LOVE it!), and tacked a sample pack of these others onto my order. I had the Blues Hog already, and Cousin Clark (Harbormaster) generously hooked me up with the Lawson's, Backyard, and Southern Flavor from his recent trip down South. BIG thanks to Clark, this guy is the real deal Brethren in every sense of the word!

The Habanero Death Dust got cut 3:1 with a mix of Dominator and Competition. I didn't use the Southern Flavor (it's more of a charbroil/direct grilling seasoning), instead I did 2 with the Blues Hog. The Lawhorn's is more of a steak seasoning, I substituted it for a SPOG control, which it stands in well for. All half racks got minimal yellow mustard to adhere the rubs (applied and wrapped in fridge 3 hours). Everything went 3.5 hours (sauce and flip, repeat for last 30 mins) unwrapped at 285 average over Stubbs briqs and huge apple chunks in The Redneck WSM. Basically a jumbo homemade Cajun Bandit. Everybody got the same sauce, a 50/50 blend of Blues Hog Original and Tennessee Red. That's a DYNAMITE combination! I'll say it again, DYNAMITE!!!! I make a LOT of my own sauces (Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont, and Carolina style vinegar and mustard varieties), but the 2 BH sauces are well worth buying, especially in gallon quantities that last my large family all year.

The results surprised me. Honestly, I didn't expect to notice much difference except for the HDD and Lawson's/SPOG/steak seasoning; especially under a good layer of such robust sauce. Boy was I wrong! The unique personality of each rub was very apparent. Mike's descriptions of the Oakridge rubs are spot on, and none of us could agree on a favorite amongst them. I could like any one of them best on different days; I really enjoy variety. A real treat was how beautiful the HDD was, even when cut with the other rubs to make it safe for my palate! The habanero pepper flavor was unmistakable, and truly elevated the other flavors and sweetness in the rubs and the sauce. The Blues Hog rub is another winner; although my little kids found it a bit peppery, my wife (NOT a spicy fan) and teens and I REALLY enjoyed it. The Lawson's is a great flavor balance, and allowed the meat and sauce to come through, I'm looking forward to trying it on a steak soon. Another real surprise was the Backyard Southern Style Seasoning. It had such a great flavor that when Clark gave it to me after work and I tried it, in the car of course, (did you expect me to drive an hour+ home with it without trying it?) I KEPT trying it several more times on the way home! It had the same effect on the ribs. Wow, is this stuff great!

I guess it just goes to show, a LOT of work goes into developing a high quality rub and sauce. I enjoy making my own, and economy dictates that I won't quit doing that, but these are all a nice change of pace that's worth springing for sometimes. You can taste the love and care for the product, kudos to Mike at Oakridge, Blues Hog, Backyard, and Lawson's! I didn't eat much Sunday, after 1 or 2 bones of each of these! I am looking forward to leftovers tonight though!

1454794633_zpsdqbogckm.jpg

1454794639_zps3qubj9fe.jpg

1454794648_zpszs9ytvji.jpg

1454794654_zpsoobwyzur.jpg

1454944731_zpsfjejgyck.jpg

1454944852_zpsr7g5gtvu.jpg

1454944805_zpsdmprb6xn.jpg

SUPER BONUS SAUSAGE MOD!
1454954551_zpsozcrcaar.jpg

1454954613_zpsqymhatlm.jpg

I spied this rig full of bratwurst in the Chicago burbs the other day. I must have some pirate blood in me, as all of my daydreams for the cargo weren't about purchasing it before consumption! I think it was headed to Ron_L's house though, so it's all good!

Sweet! I got a variety pack from Oakridge on order. I've been living on yard bird and blues hog rubs for about six months.....love both of those, but wanted to give Oakridge rubs a shot after reading all the praise. Looking forward to next cook!

Awesome Chris!! It all looks and sounds killer. Well done Sir!
Thanks Jeanie, quite a compliment coming from a fire gourmet chef like yourself!

Sweet! I got a variety pack from Oakridge on order. I've been living on yard bird and blues hog rubs for about six months.....love both of those, but wanted to give Oakridge rubs a shot after reading all the praise. Looking forward to next cook!
Thanks, you're gonna love it!
I wish I were at your table Chris!
Anytime Enrico, thanks!

Mister nice post and thank you for the detailed report and great pics, when I see stuff like beer trucks and such my mind tends to wander to the dark side as well.

Last edited:
Mister nice post and thank you for the detailed report and great pics, when I see stuff like beer trucks and such my mind tends to wander to the dark side as well.

Yeah it's kinda funny how that works! I was all giddy when I first saw it, kinda star struck like I saw a celebrity, only better! Then I caught myself satirically wondering if he parks it unlocked with the keys in it ever..... :twisted:

Nice right-up Chris.
That Backyard stuff is pretty good. It's my go to chicken and wing rub. I don't think I have ever tried it on anything else.
I use that Lawhorns like most folks probably use Lawry's or the such. Great on eggs, mashed potatoes, as a grilling seasoning, or if the SoDT cooks something and it needs a little "more" seasoning. (They make a Hickory Smoked version that I hoard, so you didn't get any.)
I got turned on to the Southern Flavor by a Brethren who sent it in exchange for some twist lock latches I had. I have never tried it as a BBQ rub, maybe I need to.
Glad you enjoyed the goodies and it was good to see you again.
I'll post about the goodies you shared when I get around to cooking them.

Great write up and pic's! I started out trying to make my own rubs and they were OK. After receiving some rubs from Oakridge rubs kcmike and Simply Marvelous rubs from Steph as throwdown prizes, I quickly figured out that The fresh ingredients matter but it's all in the blend. These guys have taken time to perfect it and it shows.

Rock on Brother! Looking good!

I'm sorry that I didn't see this write-up until after your recent post on Hillbilly's Oakridge order. Enjoyed your thoughts (and the grub sure looks tasty, too)!

Very nice observation! I'm still newbie when it comes to the BBQ thing. We all know this. I started off just using the crap I could get from walmart. It was mostly McCormick rubs. I got burnt out on them quickly because I found they all were too similar.

I ordered my first batch of oak ridge rubs last year. Secret weapon, comp beef and pork, gamebird+chicken. It was a home run!! Each had its own unique flavor. Great combination of spices. Plus they work well if you mix them together!!!!! We've had such poor weather lately I haven't been able to make chicken wings with a mixture of secret weapon and HDD. Excited to try that. Going with a 3:1 ratio.

Looks like there are other products that I should take a look into trying! I have a nice collection of Oak ridge products now since I purchased the Home BBQ Kit. Yet another awesome combination of products! I've only tried the Santa maria but I've tried it on Burgers, Lamb. I should go buy a steak tonight to try the carne crosta.

I will forever be an Oak Ridge customer. The variation and quality from their product will keep me coming back.

One thing I've noticed about rubs, They all include pretty much the same ingredient. But the difference in the amount of each ingredient makes a huge impact on flavor.

Can't comment much on sauces. I'm not a sauce guy. I prefer my meat dry.

Back