Sausage has become my nemesis. Help!!

musicmanj

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Jay
This is so bizarre, but smoking sausages has become my nemesis. I find it complete ridiculous as I cook pork shoulders, ribs, briskets, chicken, turkey, you name it with too many problems. However, the last couple times I've smoked sausages, they haven't come out where I would like.

I should note that I usually want to cook sausages along with something else - ribs, pork, brisket, etc. The method of really low smoking, cooling and then cooking sometime later doesn't work for me.

I generally purchase from a local sausage vendor that sells some amazing beef links (among others) and I've smoked them a bunch of times in the past. However, a couple of months ago I smoked them and they had great flavor, good smoke ring, but the skins were rubbery. These were smoked around 225, probably for an hour or so.

This last weekend I was cooking up some ribs and found italian sausages in the back of the fridge left over from pizza night. I thought, what the heck, I'll throw them on. I had read that water helps with the skin, and I sprayed these guys down. They probably cooked at around 275. I checked on them after an hour, and they were way overcooked and the skin was rubbery.

I guess my next attempt will be to only smoke a very short amount (30 minutes) then grill to crisp up the skins. Kind of like a reverse sear. The thing that keeps bugging me is I used to smoke a couple dozen at a time without any problems. But that was all on a cheap offset. I couldn't say what temperatures there were cooking at, but usually they were right next to a pork shoulder.

Much longer story than I anticipated, but would appreciate any insight for how you guys smoke sausages along with other BBQ meats.

Last edited:
I have found that slow cooking them will give you a tougher skin. IF you were to smoke them for a while at a low temp, then put them in a hot beer bath, or broth if that is what you like, you will be happily feasting on some very flavorful, and bite through sausages or brats (brats is what I did that with)

If it's fresh sausage I much prefer to poach in a liquid/beer for 15-20 min, then pan fry in butter to sear them.

If its already smoked/cooked sausage i prefer direct grilling.

I know, not as cool as smoking. But much better IMO

It's already cooked and smoked so just drop over hot coals till browned, flip, brown, pull and cut on the bias.
And eat.
Ed

These are raw sausages...they come out great grilled over direct heat. I'm trying to figure out a method for smoking while cooking other meats.

You've all given me a bunch of great ideas to try. I really appreciate the replies, thanks!!!

I have limitless respect for folks who can do good sausage at home.

I have dabbled just enough to realize that it a whole other level of artform that was going to take a lot of cycles to get anywhere near good at. I think I could have gotten there eventually with full immersion but sometimes you have to draw a line on taking on learning projects.

I have limitless respect for folks who can do good sausage at home.

I have dabbled just enough to realize that it a whole other level of artform that was going to take a lot of cycles to get anywhere near good at. I think I could have gotten there eventually with full immersion but sometimes you have to draw a line on taking on learning projects.

Well put. I am coming to this realization. LOL

When I make my sausage. In my smoke house I smoked it at 160 on my rec tec I smoke it at 180 that’s the lowest I can smoke it on there. Try smoking it at a lower temp for the whole cook an see. Is there a chance the sausage was made with cologne casing an not natural hog casing ? After I smoke mine I put it in a strainer an run cold water on it for a few seconds this might help. I never sprits while cooking. I’m no pro these things are things I thought myself an could be wrong in the eyes of the sausage gods

I have the same problem with my sausages - cooked along with other BBQ, the casings are chewy. How are they turning out sausages in TX with snappy casings all day long? I have heard of letting them air dry for a few hours. Any truth to that?

I have the same problem with my sausages - cooked along with other BBQ, the casings are chewy. How are they turning out sausages in TX with snappy casings all day long? I have heard of letting them air dry for a few hours. Any truth to that?

My thoughts exactly. How do they keep them warm all day to serve and not have the casings get tough?

I don't put sausage on until after I pull the big meats. Bump up the temp and they come out better. The hotter the better. They only take 30 minutes or so. I'll still get tough casings every now and then. I think they are better grilled. Lots of people put them in a hot liquid bath of some kind to make the casing bite thru. You can cheat and cut tiny slices all across the sausage so it tears as you bite. But I wouldn't know anything about that... [emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back