Said to myself - Self.......

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
A good day for push button cooking. Found some really small almost true babyback ribs. They are like 2.2# each. Seasoned, placed on top rack of Austin XL pellet cooker and went for a hike. Good hike, jumped a young buck and could hear turkey but never saw them. Geese were honking and hawks were hunting. Good day to visit history and let the back ribs alone to cook

From atop Wildcat Bluff. View of West Amarillo Creek, followed by Santa Fe Trader Josiah Gregg and US Military Captain Randolph Marcy. Looking West. Cottonwoods along the creek are huge.
SL335 & FM1061
Amarillo Potter County Texas

Last edited:
I shoveled snow....
Good news is there's snow on the cooker again and I'm thinking I would like some ribs tommorow. Got spares as I can't find those little babies around here.

-D

Beautiful day, beautiful scenery...and good eats. Doesn't get any better!

I used to run across 6 lanes of traffic when I worked at a suburb of Chicago to get some great bb ribs. That was several years before I moved to TX and even thought of smoking my own.
I do prefer BBs over LBs and spares.
I thinks ‘woods grillin method might be my way to go soon, maybe trim, smo, grill.

These were almost what I call restaurant size. Babybacks. Once upon a time you could order a rack, two sides, Texas Toast and jam, even after eating a rack by yourself dessert was an option. When a rack of babyback started being processed with inches of loin back I became mostly a 3.5# & down spare guy. To me regarding spares, regardless of how it's trimmed and loin back, smaller is better. Not true for me with beef ribs. I prefer the big beefy beef ribs, but mostly cook bigger big as I can get beef shorties. However once I got good enough cooking beef cheek, I don't buy beef ribs as often.
Still cooking beef ribs, didn't quit- but I enjoy beef cheeks taste and texture

Back