Contest Results Safeway Barbecue Battle XVII, Washongton DC 6/28-6/29 2009

Yeah, that's a great Zen way of looking at it,... But in the real World, there is only one Winner... Rod was the first loser.... And knowing Rod and having talked with him, he is still a little red arsed...

Then we are all a bunch of LOSERS.

Sorry, I just can't look at my passion and hobby that way.

Looking at it this way, Rod was a winner twice and Tuffy just once. First non-loser in Chicken and Ribs.

Anyone have the results from the second phase, Whole Hog, and ribs from the MIM portion? I enjoyed the experience workin with 3eyzs. KCBS is fine, but I find MIM a bit confusing. I had to leave about 1pm yesterday. Didn't hear the MIM results yet.

Then we are all a bunch of LOSERS.

Sorry, I just can't look at my passion and hobby that way.

Looking at it this way, Rod was a winner twice and Tuffy just once. First non-loser in Chicken and Ribs.

I look at it that way. There can only be one winner in the overall. that was Tuffy (in this contest). Rod was the first loser and so on down the line... I don't think it's a defeatist attitude either, itt's reality. There can only be one winner and the rest are losers. This isn't kids soccer where they award a ribbon for everyone for showing up. It's a contest. You have a winner and the losers... If you can't accept being a loser, then BBQ shouldn't be for you...

these words were told to me by Clone a few years ago and I still hold them close... "To be a great champion, you first have to learn how to lose."

I am the World's worst loser, as I am a competitor. But I also know how to move on and I also realize there are more important things in this life to worry about than BBQ. While important for that moment, in the big picture of things, it's not so important...

How's that Todd? Hope you can see where I am coming from... :cool:

I look at it that way. There can only be one winner in the overall. that was Tuffy (in this contest). Rod was the first loser and so on down the line... I don't think it's a defeatist attitude either, itt's reality. There can only be one winner and the rest are losers. This isn't kids soccer where they award a ribbon for everyone for showing up. It's a contest. You have a winner and the losers... If you can't accept being a loser, then BBQ shouldn't be for you...

these words were told to me by Clone a few years ago and I still hold them close... "To be a great champion, you first have to learn how to lose."

I am the World's worst loser, as I am a competitor. But I also know how to move on and I also realize there are more important things in this life to worry about than BBQ. While important for that moment, in the big picture of things, it's not so important...

How's that Todd? Hope you can see where I am coming from... :cool:

I hear ya. It ain't me, but I hear ya. I compete with myself, mostly. I know when my food is great and when it is crap. The toughest person I need to beat out there is me, no matter how I end up in the field. If I'm not satisfied, then I lost.

Most people in the field will never be a "great champion". BBQ is for them, I promise! If they make the top 50%, 25% or whatever, they are happy. Different goals for different people. If Rod, or whomever, wants to think of themselves as a loser for finishing RGC at a huge contest because that motivates them or something, then bully. Different people have different motivations and different goals. For me, that would have been one quick ride home, if you know what I mean.

How about the girl with disabilities at the GAB two years ago who got a ribbon in Kids Q? Think that wasn't the biggest win of the weekend? Bet she does and her family even more.

I'll leave all of the winning and losing to you great competitors. I'm still happy to get a call.

I'm not trying to be snarky. Just have a different view of the world, I guess. Must be all of the drugs from the '60's.

Big congrats to Tuffy and all our friends who walked.

A special mention to Dan and his 3 Eyz crew. My buddy Rick (BeerGuy) helped Dan out by being a willing pit bitch for the second time this year. You're a good man. I just wish I could've been there. Great job guys.

So.... how did yall do in the MIM category? Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited:
I don't have the MIM results. They are going to mail them to us tomorrow. I can tell you Myron won all 3 classes and took Grand Champion and 7 grand home to boot!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Anyone have the results from the second phase, Whole Hog, and ribs from the MIM portion? I enjoyed the experience workin with 3eyzs. KCBS is fine, but I find MIM a bit confusing. I had to leave about 1pm yesterday. Didn't hear the MIM results yet.

Hey BeerGuy, Thank you so much for the help overnight! We only got 4th in hog. Didn't make the finals, But was very cool to compete on that side of the fence. Thanks again

Here's a Pic of the infamous Ms South Carolina wish the pig Good Luck!!

MsSouthCarolinaPigpicture-1.jpg

Did he really LOSE? He got RGC at a major competition. I'll lose like that all day long, or rather, all the way to the bank.

Not to mention the exposure he got for his sponsors. That pays in the long run, too.

It was actually fairly close. Unfortunately, RGC wasn't taking him to the bank. I was amazed that RGC got nothing. No hardware or money. Only GC paid. Rod didn't even walk to the stage when they called him for RGC since there was nothing to collect.

OVERALL: 49 teams:
1. GC - Cool Smoke - 674.8572
2. RC - Pellet Envy - 671.9998
3. Chix, Swine and Bovine - 661.7140
4. Smoked Encounters of the Third Swine - 652.5712
5. 3-EYZ Barbecue - 651.4284

WOW, interesting placements, congrats to all though! Great to see Pickin Porkers on up there as well....especially in.GASP.....chicken!! Awesome showing all!

Isn't that something????? Found a good combination for those northern tastes......I guess the vinegar base sauce did not fly too well with our pork considering the 18th place and just to think it took 1st in Tryon.....amazing how preferences change.

Isn't that something????? Found a good combination for those northern tastes......I guess the vinegar base sauce did not fly too well with our pork considering the 18th place and just to think it took 1st in Tryon.....amazing how preferences change.

I actually did vinegar pork here and took 3rd. The other stuff I kept NE flavor profile and didn't get anywhere with it. I thought just the opposite as you, I believed there was more a vinegar flavor down there:-?:-?

Isn't that something?????
I was talking with Shawn (butts) last night and both of us laughed at the areas that you got calls and placed high compared to the "norm".....but, was great to see none-the-less.......I still have a picture in my head of the MIM portion.....laughing, knowing how you "host" at your site for us regular KCBS folks.....a great showing though.....way to represent!

We had a good time and it was unusual to see our ribs and chicken score so well....the same thing happened last year where our strengths became our weakness and vice versa. It is truly amazing how the SAME flavor profile can score 18th in KCBS Pork, win at Tryon and yet...win the shoulder preliminaries in MIM.

As for the MIM portion, we had a ball with the presentations. Doing all three categories you will get judged 9 times. Making the finals as we did in both hog and shoulders, we got to put on a show two more times. It certainly made for a very long day with such a small team. Washington was an exact repeat of our sucess (or failures) in Aiken, SC this year. BUT, I'll take KCBS any day over MIM or MBN....blind judging is truly the only way to find the best Q.....for that day anyway. That's why we are satisfied anytime we win the prelims because it is primarly blind judging that gets you where you need to be. Of course winning the finals would be a great accomplishment but it is improbable for most teams because of the dog and pony show required, TV cameras and everything else that helps to influence judges opinions, not to mention some teams simply make a darn good product which should win.

We will only do 3 contests a year which are Charlotte, Washington and Aiken. I'll leave the MIM and MBN to the teams that are geared up for the dog and pony show while we continue our quest for the perfect Q....

[. Of course winning the finals would be a great accomplishment but it is improbable for most teams because of the dog and pony show required, TV cameras and everything else that helps to influence judges opinions, not to mention some teams simply make a darn good product which should win.

I hear what you are throwing!!!!!:lol:

But you know OC..I keep competing....beats me why...maybe it is because my whole goal is to break even financially in each contest which I do at the moment. We are not finished with 2 whole years of competition yet and have a LOT to learn, BUT, it does make me question how the MIM or MBN contests made it this long....on further investigation, I see less and less MBN contests being held. Is it a thing of the past?

that is the exact reason i did not enter the mim comp. it is a guarantee loss to the man. i am sure the food is amazing but so is yours and mine and everyone elses that i know. you cannot beat the show.

Back