THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I grew up in Comp BBQ. I grew up being "ENTERTAINED" by the teams at contests. I grew up being taught that Comp BBQ is about Friendly Competition and the love for your craft. I saw the guys behind the tables and smokers showing off, talking smack, and I always wanted to be one of them. It was a community of people that cared about what they were doing and what they represented. I guess that was the Golden Age

No, I can't and won't accept BBQers that don't give back to the community that created them. Like I said in the post, This sport has always been about Competition, Socializing, AND EDUCATION. The "Just Here to Win" attitude leaves out 2 of those pillars.

This whole "I'm just here to cook and Win" attitude is NOT what Comp BBQ was when I started, and it is so sad that many teams have developed into this. The popularity of BBQ in the last few years has brought out people who care more about themselves and winning than preserving the traditions of the community.

Maybe people like myself are the minority now that BBQ has gone from a community of people who truly love Barbecue with their heart and soul to a Trendy Fad...Winning at competitions is a part of Competition BBQ...but it ain't the only part.

Flame on... :boxing: :becky:

I grew up in Comp BBQ. I grew up being "ENTERTAINED" by the teams at contests. I grew up being taught that Comp BBQ is about Friendly Competition and the love for your craft. I saw the guys behind the tables and smokers showing off, talking smack, and I always wanted to be one of them. It was a community of people that cared about what they were doing and what they represented. I guess that was the Golden Age

No, I can't and won't accept BBQers that don't give back to the community that created them. Like I said in the post, This sport has always been about Competition, Socializing, AND EDUCATION. The "Just Here to Win" attitude leaves out 2 of those pillars.

This whole "I'm just here to cook and Win" attitude is NOT what Comp BBQ was when I started, and it is so sad that many teams have developed into this. The popularity of BBQ in the last few years has brought out people who care more about themselves and winning than preserving the traditions of the community.

Maybe people like myself are the minority now that BBQ has gone from a community of people who truly love Barbecue with their heart and soul to a Trendy Fad...Winning at competitions is a part of Competition BBQ...but it ain't the only part.

Flame on... :boxing: :becky:

I still see what you describe, in the backyard division. All the time in the backyard division.. no one there has big rigs, inexpensive smokers, nothing more than an EZ up..all barrel chested, smack talking individuals. Spend $25 on an entry, buy meat at the grocery store. Maybe Backyard contests are bigger here in my neck of the woods.. for instance, Madison, In. has 60 pro teams, and 40 backyarders.

Being there to entertain the public has too many meanings for each of us. What I hope we can agree on is that we need to contribute to the event in some fashion and I believe it is in some fashion more than what I see at most contest today. What I see is competition BBQ riding on the coattails of fund raising events. The fund raising event is hoping that the BBQ competition will draw in the public to fund their cause. What I believe they are discovering is that the BBQ competion adds a great deal of work and financial risk and in most cases adds nothing to their causes ability to raise money. I think this is why we see so many contest not repeat for very many years. They can have a festival without BBQ and do as well or better without us. We need to help change this.

Being there to entertain the public has too many meanings for each of us. What I hope we can agree on is that we need to contribute to the event in some fashion and I believe it is in some fashion more than what I see at most contest today. What I see is competition BBQ riding on the coattails of fund raising events. The fund raising event is hoping that the BBQ competition will draw in the public to fund their cause. What I believe they are discovering is that the BBQ competion adds a great deal of work and financial risk and in most cases adds nothing to their causes ability to raise money. I think this is why we see so many contest not repeat for very many years. They can have a festival without BBQ and do as well or better without us. We need to help change this.

^^^^
This

Not sure what kind of rule change would help this, but how about something to encourage respect and appreciation for the differences in regional styles of BBQ?

Or should we just keep encouraging people to only appreciate syrupy ketchup?

I agree 100% and there is the problem,alot of teams have the attitude."hey,I paid my entry fee,I'm here to compete,not entertain",but by doing that the contest(s) may go away and then those same will complain they don't have many contests,or they will wonder why there were 50 teams ,but the contest went away anyways.If we,as teams, don't do anything for the public,sponsors,or charity,then whats in it for them, and whats the incentive to keep putting on the contests ?

I agree 100% and there is the problem,alot of teams have the attitude."hey,I paid my entry fee,I'm here to compete,not entertain",but by doing that the contest(s) may go away and then those same will complain they don't have many contests,or they will wonder why there were 50 teams ,but the contest went away anyways.If we,as teams, don't do anything for the public,sponsors,or charity,then whats in it for them, and whats the incentive to keep putting on the contests ?

This is my point exactly. Like it or not we are there to entertain the public and promote and educate what BBQ is.

Reminds me of those guys at work that talk about how much/hard they work, but then always toss out "that's not my job".

Since this thread is about "proposing rules" for consideration, are any of you suggesting that a rule be drafted that makes it mandatory for all BBQ teams to participate in some big public dog and pony show at every competition? That's what this thread is supposed to be about right? All I've read and seen so far is just a bunch of chest beating and non-directed criticism. I would just like to know what rule is actually being proposed here.

Since this thread is about "proposing rules" for consideration, are any of you suggesting that a rule be drafted that makes it mandatory for all BBQ teams to participate in some big public dog and pony show at every competition? That's what this thread is supposed to be about right? All I've read and seen so far is just a bunch of chest beating and non-directed criticism. I would just like to know what rule is actually being proposed here.

Someone a few pages back stated that they believed that rv's and enclosed trailers should not be allowed

Ok,

How bout a rule or motion that creates a committee that runs free tours of team cooksites. Memphis in May does it with a lot of success, it's called the Cooker Caravan. This voluntary program let's spectators that want learn about BBQ and teams to see firsthand how it works. Teams are asked on the contest application if they are willing to host a 15 minute tour group. Volunteer guides take the 20 person groups to 3 cooksites where the team takes them on a tour and answers questions.

I believe this could be what we are looking for. Teams that feel they don't need to "Entertain" can sit in their cooksites and scoff at us teams that are all about education and inclusion. Everybody wins

Or should we just keep encouraging people to only appreciate syrupy ketchup?
Pshaw, you kids these days and your fancy "sauce".

(says the Texan...)

That's really a self-solving problem then. BBQ gets too serious = fewer competitions = less money = the "in it to win it" crowd goes away = BBQ gets more friendly = more competitions ...

Ok,

How bout a rule or motion that creates a committee that runs free tours of team cooksites. Memphis in May does it with a lot of success, it's called the Cooker Caravan. This voluntary program let's spectators that want learn about BBQ and teams to see firsthand how it works. Teams are asked on the contest application if they are willing to host a 15 minute tour group. Volunteer guides take the 20 person groups to 3 cooksites where the team takes them on a tour and answers questions.

I believe this could be what we are looking for. Teams that feel they don't need to "Entertain" can sit in their cooksites and scoff at us teams that are all about education and inclusion. Everybody wins

I 2nd this. I think this is a great idea.

Someone a few pages back stated that they believed that rv's and enclosed trailers should not be allowed

I guess that could be considered a proposal, but how likely is it that KCBS would tell Truebud, Warren County Pork Choppers, Pellet Envy, QUAU, Tuffy, or Johnny (just to name a few) that they can continue to compete but they'll have to get rid of the RVs and comp trailers? I'm all for voluntary interaction with the public, but dictating how a team has to set up and what equipment they can set up with on their 20x30 site that they paid for is really absurd.

Ok,

That sounds like a reasonable proposal that Dave Compton could run up the flagpole. As long as the tour is set up so that it doesn't impact the busy Saturday morning crunch time, seems like it could potentially receive team support.

Back