Rolling The Dice...

Mike in Roseville

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Mike
Stopped by Restaurant Depot this morning to grab some supplies. Place was a ghost town. I was actually curious if they were even open as there were only 3 cars in the lot. They were.

Naturally I head to the meat cooler to look for some short ribs or briskets. One cryo of short ribs that was punctured and no cases. All the Angus briskets were gone. A few stray Select packers. No cases of either. Maybe I'm destined to get Chuck Roll or Shoulder Clod? Maybe pork instead?

I wander back to the head of the aisle where there is a cart marked for quick sale. There were two cases of Full Briskets on the cart marked "Zabiha Halal." Same pack dates on both. My quick math says they have been wet aging in their cryos for 50 days. I know people typically wet age them for 30-60 days so I figured this could work. Peeked inside the heavier of the two cases. No gray meat or fat. Everything I saw looked like a nice shade of red. Marbling on the flats looked way better than the stray Select briskets out.

Why not...

Markdown price???

$1.45lb!!!! :heh:

So a case of wet-aged and "blessed" packer briskets at a Texas price of yesteryear? Flipped a Benjamin and few coins to the cashier and got 5 choice briskets. Got the case home and opened it up. 3 were about 12-14 and two were a little bigger than that. All Cryos intact and 4-5 were really floppy. The 3 average ones went right into the freezer and the two bigger ones will be cooked tomorrow. Lets see if this gamble pays off.

Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Nice score Mike! I almost went there today but caved and went to Smart and Final to get chicken wings but they were out, so Johnsonville "firecracker" Brats will replace the wings with a few Modello's. If I drink about 9 or so, maybe I can convince myself that it tastes like Brisket? :wacko:

amen...

When are ya cookin them?

I figure if I leave now I can be there in time!

LOL...if you get on a plane now you can help me trim the two I'm doing tomorrow.

Start looking over your shoulder... at $1.45 the cops will be looking for you.

It was a little surreal to be honest. I was talking to another grill buddy of mine and told him I've actually never bought beef that cheap before. Even Tri Tips back in the 90's were a little more than that.

Nice score Mike! I almost went there today but caved and went to Smart and Final to get chicken wings but they were out, so Johnsonville "firecracker" Brats will replace the wings with a few Modello's. If I drink about 9 or so, maybe I can convince myself that it tastes like Brisket? :wacko:

Thanks Kenny. Modelo's make everything better. Plus, even if you're grilling alone, you're in good company!

Steal, that would get you a free ride down here:thumb:

So tonight I cut the cryos on those two big boys hanging out in my fridge...and we have a problem! A BIG PROBLEM!

I was told that wet aged beef would have a distinct smell? Well when I cut these...I was greeted with the smell of....

Beef!!! :biggrin1:

No off smells or colors. No strong odor of any kind.

I am blown away by the potential here. I'm going to keep the receipt just in case someone thinks I actually stole these.

Attachments

• 21B8C122-52A6-4EB8-8C06-8E6F13AF5FC7.jpg
    21B8C122-52A6-4EB8-8C06-8E6F13AF5FC7.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
For those interested,

The clear distinction, however, is that zabiha is for meat derived from an animal that was slaughtered by a sane Muslim adult across the throat without feeling any pain, while halal is used for anything allowed under Islamic law.

Carry on.
Ed

Back