Ribs on the El Cheapo Copperhead

Radrob

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Rob
Captain's Log!!

Rib cook #2, the first one was a hot and fast with almost no smoke flavor but this time was different. I smoked the first hour on the smoke setting then 2 more hours at 250 before wrapping for an hour then back on to set the glaze for 20 minutes. The results are night and day, smoke flavor and taste was better.

I cooked a few racks of ribs today for the family visiting from MS. I mixed up a batch of my rub and got to work.

100-4105.jpg

Cleaned up and ready for rub, I'm cooking the rib tips too.
100-4107.jpg

I had these on the smoker for 3 hours, I almost forgot to get a shot of the ribs before wrapping.
100-4108.jpg

The wrapping process is a light layer of brown sugar, honey and squeeze bottle butter-Parkay.
100-4109.jpg

Meat side down to soak up that sweet nectar.
100-4110.jpg

All wrapped, if you look close there's 4 racks there. I had to buy another rack because "someone" gets heartburn from smoked foods so it was oven ribs.
100-4111.jpg

Perfect cornbread for dressing
100-4112.jpg

It's ugly but this is awesome dressing mix, ground meat, onions, bells, spices and a can of cream of mushroom soup.
100-4113.jpg

This was a test and it's good but the tips are crispy from staying in long enough to get the bacon crispy.
100-4114.jpg

The rib tips all sauced, I cooked these longer wrapped in that pan to render the fat then back on the smoker to set the sauce.
100-4115.jpg

Ready to slice
100-4116.jpg

I'm surprised there's no smoke ring but they were good
100-4118.jpg

Oven ribs
100-4117.jpg

Not bad but compared to a smoked rib it loses. These were hot and fast in the convection oven at 375 started 2 hours later than the smoked ribs and finished at the same time.
100-4119.jpg

These were wrapped but not sauced. I sprinkled more rub when I put them back on the smoker. This came out better than expected and I might stop putting sauce on ribs, the flavor is better not covered up with a sauce.
100-4120.jpg

100-4121.jpg

Finally!! That's potato salad washed out by the flash with cornbread dressing and beans of course. The top rib is dry and the first one I ate in the pic below.
100-4122.jpg

How's that for bite through ribs
100-4124.jpg

Nice color on those ribs. Been a while since i seen comp ribs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nice color on those ribs. Been a while since i seen comp ribs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's funny you said that.

Short story. My Mom lives with me, she's 77. Yesterday she comes in and I have Smoked on the tube playing so I tell her she can change the channel but she wanted to watch. We were waiting on my brother to get here and she probably watched 3 episodes and kept asking questions about what they were saying and why they cook it that way. A few minutes later my brother shows up, after saying hello and all the small talk she says we're having ribs tomorrow.

And here we are, it started with two racks and morphed to four. She's happy and got to see family and we all had a good meal.

Those ribs look killer. That smoker ( and you ) did a nice job. I wish they had those smokers on clearance near me. My ribs are terribly inconsistent, and having one go-to cooker and technique would be of great benefit to me.

Ribs look great. My Copperhead is sitting in the dining room waiting for spring to arrive. I'm having a really hard time not rolling it out into the snow and firing it up.

Looks great to me,I see pink on the smoked ribs and white on the oven rack,try some cherry for a killer smoke ring

Looks great to me,I see pink on the smoked ribs and white on the oven rack,try some cherry for a killer smoke ring

I really don't find a taste difference from any of the pellets I tried. I started with hickory then mesquite, cherry and this time was Myron's blend of oak, peach and hickory.

angryelfFan, it's the 5 series everyone is getting on clearance.

100-3861.jpg

Nice work, thanks for sharing your family feast with us.

I really don't find a taste difference from any of the pellets I tried. I started with hickory then mesquite, cherry and this time was Myron's blend of oak, peach and hickory.

angryelfFan, it's the 5 series everyone is getting on clearance.

100-3861.jpg

With Pellet Grills, all the Pellet flavors will taste clean and lite... Your tastebuds will have to adjust to the lite flavor. It’s not bad, it’s just not very strong. Even with Hickory and Mesquite being the strongest pellet flavors, it’s still lite. I’ve found that Lumberjack brand pellets will produce a little more natural wood smoke flavor. What I have tried and it’s worked for me has been adding a stick burning heat diffuser to my pellet grill. I must say, them Ribs look outstanding!! With a few more cooks on that Copperhead and running the smoke mode up front and then finishing on your desired temp, You’ll find the right balance of smoke flavor I’m sure.

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

On my next cook I'm leaning pecan logs against the firebox to get more smoke, I'll report results.

I have mods bouncing around my head and need to start playing a little. So little time and so much tinkering to do but I'll get there.

On my next cook I'm leaning pecan logs against the firebox to get more smoke, I'll report results.

I have mods bouncing around my head and need to start playing a little. So little time and so much tinkering to do but I'll get there.

I wouldn’t put any wood “in or near” the firebox in your PB Copperhead.. Even wood chips may be tempting, don’t do it. You’ll never be able to control your grills temps, the wood can cause a real fire in your grill, let alone void your grills warranty. If You want to try too add some real wood to your PB Copperhead for your bbq, I would reach out to SmokeDaddyinc and see if their stick burning heat diffuser will fit inside your grill. If it does, that could be a huge improvement in the smoke flavor profile You’re looking for. Something to research and add too the bbq hobby... Give your grill a few more cooks and try those Lumberjack pellets out along with a longer run on Smoke mode first. Good luck.

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Back