Rib pull back

But judges do it...I've sat next to one that scored it a 7...it was prettier than most of the ribs I have cooked. His reason...it's not correctly cooked because the meat did not recess from the bone.

It was perfect, I gave it a nine.

That is terrible!

I've heard some strange things at the judging tables, but never that. Thank the BBQ gods that bit of misjudging hasn't made it down South!

I do appreciate the feedback though. One of the things I do when I judge is make the effort to gently correct other CBJs when they do something like this. Most are receptive to the idea of constructive criticism. Those that aren't.... well, they don't judge at any contest I run.

No the opposite of helping him would be giving mis-information. I said exactly where the info could be found.

And TooSaucedToPork it's not "taunting secret bs." I've given probably more information in person or at contests to friends, new teams, and strangers than 99% of the teams out there. It's unfortunate you feel I'm being mean.

Rub your techniques struck again as we had a very nice rib call a few weeks back at Pigs & Peaches. It was a smithfield ribs series too so it paid off even more :becky:.

But to the OP I think they look just as good pulled back vs not. I wouldn't worry about it like others have said.

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub
Swamp Boys Q School has the answer :thumb:

Yes, I agree. He has many little tricks and tips that are just common sense, but never applied or even considered on your own.

I must say, his ribs had the perfect "pull back".

wallace

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub
I disagree that judges don't look at pull back on ribs. I know for a fact that judges in our area look for anything wrong with ribs to mark down appearance scores, ribs not cut straight (because bones are not straight), uneven pull back on the ribs, too much pull back, too little pull back. It is all under the close attention of the nit picky judge. Trust me, EVERYTHING matters!

Eggspert

Remind me to never cook in Minnesota.

As far as the overall appearance scoring of ribs and considerations if the have the "pull back" or not, I think it just looks better.

wallace

I think the whole bone thing, both about straight bones and pull back is ridiculous, but, I think a lot of judges do look for it. My answer is to cook more racks, 5 or 6 and pick the ones that look the best.

I've heard that some teams actually put a gloved finger in between the bones and pushed the meat back themselves prior to foiling. This way all the bones have the same amount of pullback. I tried this on my last practice cook and it did work.

I wouldn't sweat it. I've been judging KCBS for eight years, and I've never heard a judge mention the amount of bone showing on a rib entry as something they noticed in scoring presentation.

Focus on tenderness of the meat, not exposure of the bones.

I was really thinking the same thing... I don't think this is or has ever been an issue.

I would never score down on appearance for no pullback, but it might make the difference if there was nice pullback and I was having a hard time deciding between an 8 or 9.

I have followed this thread closely.
And I usually don't have much if any pull back on my ribs.
But I noticed in the Rib TD that the top three members/votes have a good pull back on their ribs. I think it is a matter of how good it looks, and the pull back adds to the appearance of the ribs. Looks good = mind saying it tastes good for sure.
Just my humble opinion.

Back