THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SeaSalted

Full Fledged Farker
I asked the butcher for a 2" cut of a nice top loin and he subsequently presented me with a 3" thick 5lb piece of meat. Well, okay, I'm sure it will get eaten.

Several weeks ago I came up with a method to raise the charcoal basket closer to the grill grate so I thought this would be a nice piece o' meat to try a reverse sear on.

I made a marinade of olive oil, soy, garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, pepper flakes and a touch of balsamic vinegar, placed the "London Broil" in a ziplock bag, added the marinade and let it all get to know one another for about 5 hours. The meat was removed from the marinade and I then sprinkled it with a healthy dose of Chicago Style seasoning.

The meat was hung above some charcoal to which I added some hickory and apple chunks. I dialed in 275 on the PartyQ and let her cook for almost 2 hours until the center of the meat probed 110 degrees. The meat was pulled off, the rods removed and I then removed the charcoal basket using a big pair of channel lock pliers while wearing gloves. I put the re-purposed propane burner stand in the PBC and then set the charcoal basket on top of it. This brings the charcoal to within 5" of the grill grate.

The meat was then seared about 6 minutes a side which brought it up to a perfect 130 degrees. It was pulled and then tented for about 20 minutes prior to slicing. I was amazed at how tender it was and the amount of juice retained.

My wife and two guests all said that it was the absolute best London Broil that they had ever eaten, and added that it was like prime rib. I too am of the opinion that it was the best I've ever had and I've cooked many over the years.

IMG_5685.jpg

IMG_5686.jpg

IMG_5688.jpg

IMG_5692.jpg

IMG_5694.jpg

IMG_5701.jpg

IMG_5703.jpg

IMG_5704.jpg

Back