Request for all MAK Grill Owners

Bob C Cue

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I had mentioned this during the group buy, but thought I would mention it again. Currently on the MAK website there are only four MAK 1 Star and ten MAK 2 Star reviews.

I almost always look at reviews when researching products and the more positive reviews the better.

For all you satisfied veteran and new MAK owners why not post a review if you haven't already done so?

Not everyone looking for a pellet grill checks out BBQ Brethren or other BBQ sites when doing there research, so a larger number of reviews could help folks in making their buying decisions.

I also noticed there are no reviews for the MAK 3 Star. Robb you may want to talk to the 3 Star owners and give them a kick in their pellet hoppers!

I’ve had a 1 star for 6 years ....
Love it .

Oh , FWIW , I usually don’t take reviews that are on any manufacturer’s website very seriously - for obvious reasons.

Bk

I agree with Gyosa. I think the MAKs are worthy of 5 star ratings, but I rarely read and never trust reviews from manufacturers sites. Weber and Recteq are both known to censor reviews. I’m not saying MAK would ever do such a thing, but when you know some companies do, you just don’t trust any of the reviews. Plus MAK would very likely be all legitimate 5 star reviews, which would cause disbelief.

I still suggest that the more reviews the better. Even if people assume that the manufacturer will not post negative reviews the fact that there are not very many positive reviews would make me think twice about purchasing a product.

Fortunately, I have the BBQ Brethren site and spend lots of time researching other resources to help me make purchasing decisions but not everyone does.

Reviews once were a viable form of information but these days way too many reviews, both positive and negative, are bought and paid for. I don't really pay any attention to them anymore. I have bought things with bad reviews and they were great and I have also bought things with great reviews and they turned out to be terrible.

bqoGhhAh.jpg

If you think it's hard to find reviews for MAK, try finding reviews for Outlaw!

They both make great food, though, reviews or not. So I say cook, enjoy the amazing results, and don't worry about it.

Anyone out there have a Boathouse cabinet smoker?
How’s its performance? Any tips?

Last edited:
I’ll leave one after I’ve had a few more cooks. So far, so good, but there’s a bit of a learning curve for me.

#1) Chicken Wings - Pharking Phantastic!
#2) Tri Tip - great flavor - have to work on the crust a bit
#3) Keilbasa - very good - outstanding
#4) BB Ribs - learning curve. Needed to cook longer, but had company over. Fantastic flavor and appearance, just under cooked.
#5) Beef ribs - not so good, but I knew they were unlikely to turn out. Sat in the freezer too long. New technique - Sous vide then smoked. Hickory pellets from Bear Mountain. Not my cup of tea.

I’m pretty sure it’s going to be outstanding once I adjust things a bit.

Reviews on our site help mainly with getting traffic to our site, not convincing people to buy. Still, good reviews are always helpful!

We definitely don't censor reviews, and never would. That's not the MAK style. :wink:

I agree with Gyosa. I think the MAKs are worthy of 5 star ratings, but I rarely read and never trust reviews from manufacturers sites. Weber and Recteq are both known to censor reviews. I’m not saying MAK would ever do such a thing, but when you know some companies do, you just don’t trust any of the reviews. Plus MAK would very likely be all legitimate 5 star reviews, which would cause disbelief.

I think most people realize that we could control what reviews show up on the site if we were inclined to do so and consequently, we rarely actively push for them, but we would certainly welcome more reviews on the site.

And we do not censor them, even if they're baseless, see the covers page for an example.

I don't trust manufacturer websites either, and let me state right away I have no experience with MAK other than glowing user reviews I've seen here, You Tube, and elsewhere.

I spent a LOT of time looking at pellet smokers over the past year. Weber Smokefire, Grilla, Camp Chef, Traeger, Rec Tec, Yoder, etc. etc. etc. Not once did I use a manufacturer website for anything but to see it and see specs.

I find this forum and You Tube to be invaluable for helping make those decisions.

I usually only go to a manufacturer's website to get specs or info about what I'm thinking of buying. I will look at the reviews but don't take them as gospel since most of them won't publish negative reviews.

I usually use sites like this to get reviews since most people here probably don't have an agenda about what they own though I know some people can be fanboys/girls and might be biased.

Reviews on our site help mainly with getting traffic to our site, not convincing people to buy. Still, good reviews are always helpful!

We definitely don't censor reviews, and never would. That's not the MAK style. :wink:

I know censoring would not be the MAK way at all and apologize if my response came across any differently. I suspect as the number of reviews grow you’ll continue to get almost all legit 5 star reviews which makes (some) people skeptical that don’t know how MAK operates. I still plan on putting a review out there down the road after I have mine longer. I suppose it’s better to have people skeptical of too much truth versus a shortage of feedback.

Back