THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ironbrew

Knows what a fatty is.
I have an Inkbird model 4S. The problem I'm having is the range crashes to nothing as soon as the temperature gets below about 60 degrees F. While I really like the unit, I need something that will transmit reliably to significantly lower temperatures. I may not be in a cold part of Canada any longer but that is a relative thing. We still get temperatures that go well below freezing.

Recommendations, please? I really like being able to check the temperature in my pit and brisket while I'm lying in my bed.

Thanks

I have an Inkbird model 4S. The problem I'm having is the range crashes to nothing as soon as the temperature gets below about 60 degrees F. While I really like the unit, I need something that will transmit reliably to significantly lower temperatures. I may not be in a cold part of Canada any longer but that is a relative thing. We still get temperatures that go well below freezing.

Recommendations, please? I really like being able to check the temperature in my pit and brisket while I'm lying in my bed.

Thanks

Fireboard. Inkbird is a generic version of Fireboard. You get what you pay for....

It amaze me people will trust a $100+ cut of meat on a $20 thermometer.
EDIT: Times have changed this generic thermometer cost over $100. Fireboard is around $180 and well worth it. I payed $250 for the bbq edition and have no complaints.

Last edited:
Fireboard. Inkbird is a generic version of Fireboard. You get what you pay for....

It amaze me people will trust a $100+ cut of meat on a $20 thermometer.
EDIT: Times have changed this generic thermometer cost over $100. Fireboard is around $180 and well worth it. I payed $250 for the bbq edition and have no complaints.

Thanks. Never heard of it before. Doing the research now. The consensus used to be the inkbird. Not a fan...

Thanks. Never heard of it before. Doing the research now. The consensus used to be the inkbird. Not a fan...
Sadly i fear Chinese knockoffs like Inkbird might have forced Fireboard to cut corners. Mine has been going strong for 5yrs+. They also have a "drive unit" that can hold temps with charcoal smokers like a WSM.

Check out Thermoworks Smoke (has dedicated remote monitoring unit) and Signals (has cloud and phone apps). Both can also drive their Bellows fan to act as a temperature controller as well as monitor.

If you can wait a few weeks, you might as well wait until Black Friday/cyber Monday since they usually have a big sale then.

If you get a Bellows, be sure you get the damper as well unless you have a really big smoker. It really should be included, but it's cheap ($3). The Bellows moves a lot of air and will almost certainly overshootthe target temperature on a Kamodo or other smaller insulated smoker.

Thanks. I'm running a UDS. I do have it blower controlled, but the unit is from before affordable monitoring. I'll check out the options you (all of you) have suggested.

I agree with Jeff.

I purchased the Thermoworks "Signals" which has 4 probe inputs. When not using the extra probes, the app has a "disable" button for each input.

I have no complaints, in fact I love the many features of the app like live graphing and archiving.

It also has the blower control, but I don't use it because I like the "ramp-down" feature of my BBQ-12 year old Guru Digi-Q II. So I use both.

Back