THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cfrazier77

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Craig
Well I think I exaggerated a little in the title. I technically don't even have a sous vide machine. But, I am resourceful. We had friends over last night who used to own a high end restaurant a dinner party were the four of us cooked multiple coarses. For my coarse I wanted to do a rack of lamb and carrots. I wanted to try sous vide on each so I had an excuse to be creative. Here is the menu and then the details on my improvised sous vide.
1 Three cheeses and prosciutto, Spanish spice ham, and Italian salami.
2 Salad with artichoke hearts, cranberries, and Gorgonzola cheese.
3 Homemade linguine with a butter sauce with garlic and Parmigian cheese.
4 Rack of Lamb with carrots
5 Homemade vanilla ice cream with real vanilla beans.

So, my part.
I found a recipe for sous vide carrots that sounded great. 1 lb carrots cut medium to small, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons salt, 2 tablespoons butter, and a splash of bourbon. Set the water for 183 and go for an hour or more until tender. Empty all in a pan and cook down until the carrots are glazed. (from serious eats). But, I don't have a immersion heater. So, grab the crock pot and my home brewing equipment. I got a temperature controller that I had made and set it to 183 and plugged the crock pot into it. It maintained temp perfectly. My carrots were a little big so it took 2 hours.

There were two lamb racks. Seasoning was simple, salt, pepper, rosemary, and thyme. I held it at 131 degrees for 4 hours and then seared it on a cast iron pan.

The sous vide is actually my mash tun for my home brewery. This is where I hold grain and water at a certain temp for an hour so that the starches in the grain convert to sugars for the yeast to eat to turn into alcohol.

It is a 15.5 gallon beer keg with the top cut out and a drain in the bottom.

Water is pulled out by a pump and pushed through a 2000 watt heat exchanger, RIMS tube, and back into the vessel.

It is controlled by a PID controller that turns on the heating element fractionally to keep the temp steady.

It will hold a temp steady by plus/minus .1 degree. All of this was built by me.

After this I am able to actually claim that all the money that I sunk into my brewery is multiple purpose. :-D

I think that I need to use this more often.

Back