Question On Transporting Comp Meats for Multiple Events on The Road

Biged92

Knows what a fatty is.
I have a question for those teams out there that travel multiple weeks and compete in back to back comps.

We are planning to compete in the American Royal Inv. & Open in September. But we were thinking about competing the weekend before in Colorado since it is on the way to Kansas City from California. My initial thought is to buy, pack, and transport our comp meats for all 3 events. Now for each comp we cook 1 brisket, 4 butts, 6 racks of ribs, and some chicken (ain't really worried about the chicken).

In your experience have you found it better to buy the meats you can on the road (in our case butts and ribs). Or buy it all before, pack it, and take it with you?

Due to the number of days we will be on the road traveling I worry about the amount of space and number of coolers that will be needed to store the meat properly.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

I agree with above, while I don't do multiple comps like that where it would be an issue for me. Seems like more of a hassle to transport all that around. There's tons of good places here in KC, depends where you prefer to get your meat.... or you could always find a friendly brethren to store meat you ship to them.

With the Royal, just have KC Competition meats deliver. We have done exactly what you propose for other doubles though. We cooked Morgantown, PA on the way to Red, White, and BBQ in Westmont, IL last month. Frozen briskets and ribs went in the bottom of the Yeti frozen, comp meats for PA on top, and by the time we got to Westmont they were ready to use.

We bought chicken and pork on the road, and our poor scores reflected it. Got a top 5 rib call and brisket was 11th/12th in Westmont from meat that was sitting in the Yeti for 9 days with ice on it. Halfway through the trip we drained the water and added new ice.

Back