THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks for the heads up. Will be more careful in the future.

I heard Pyrex was sold to a Chinese company. I don't know how true this is, and I don't remember exactly how long ago, maybe a couple of years or so. Any new Pyrex products are made in China and different materials and processes are used. They are known to explode very easily. I have 3 Pyrex baking pans that are at least 20 years old. The old ones made in the USA are good to go. I only use them for baking at lower temps (350 F or lower). I would never consider roasting in a glass baking dish. Get yourself a nice SS roasting pan. Glad to hear no one was injured!

I also found this letter on the Pyrex site that responds to comments about the manufacture of Pyrex Glass Bakeware:

http://www.pyrexware.com/thetruthaboutpyrex/index.htm

.....for what it's worth.

Yup, did that when I was a kid. I put a pyrex bowl on the flames of the stovetop to melt butter or something (pre-microwave days). Thing grenaded in a couple minutes. That won't happen twice!

Pyrex isn't meant for that kind of use. Glad you and your own are safe.

Never put pyrex on a stove-top, no matter what the temp or application is.

Back