putting the Shirley to work.

sylntghost

is Blowin Smoke!
today i am doing 2 chuckies with black ops brisket rub.Also doing a 10 pound butt with the Chris Lilly pork injection with killer hogs the bbq rub. I also decided to go back to my childhood with some good old beans and weenies. thats right folks beans and weenies. i cant wait....:becky:

Last edited:
So a question for you and others with smokers like this... I do my cooks on a WSM 18.5; plenty of space for whatever I need for me and the wife. But sometimes I want more. Does running a large smoker like this use "too much fuel" for a small cook (like one brisket and a slab of ribs, for example) or is it still efficient to do small cooks on a big smoker?
I'd LOVE something like this but doubt I could justify it...
Sure looks good though. Makes me want to go out in the rain and start a port butt...

So a question for you and others with smokers like this... I do my cooks on a WSM 18.5; plenty of space for whatever I need for me and the wife. But sometimes I want more. Does running a large smoker like this use "too much fuel" for a small cook (like one brisket and a slab of ribs, for example) or is it still efficient to do small cooks on a big smoker?
Sure looks good though. Makes me want to go out in the rain and start a port butt...

That's what the Shirley warmer is for. Big cooks go in the main chamber.

when i light my pit i use one charcoal chimeny and 3 wrist size x 12 inch long splits. hit it with the weed burner. the main chamber is up to 300 in 20 minutes. after that one wrist size split every 30 minutes till cook is done.to me that is not to much wood to keep the 24x70 chamber up to temp.

Looks great. Did you pull the chuck when it was prob tender? If so do you know the approximate temp it reached?

Looks great. Did you pull the chuck when it was prob tender? If so do you know the approximate temp it reached?
i cooked them to 170 in the smoker.then placed them in the pans with onion and beef stock and put in a 300 degree oven wrapped for 2 1/2 hours. did not check temp. i pulled a fork down the top and the meat was falling apart.

The beef and pork both look absolutely fantastic, but I gotta say, I just love me some beans and weenies!

an update on the pulled pork. the chris lilly pork injection and killer hogs the bbq rub was a big hit. everyone said it was the best butt ive ever done. i was told to never do them any other way.

Last edited:
an update on the pulled pork. the chris lilly pork injection and killer hogs the bbq rub was a big hit. everyone said it was the best butt ive ever done. i was told to never do them any other way.

You gotta give the people what they want:thumb:

Back