Pulled Pork on an 18" Weber (why do I keep doing this?)

H-Towner

I posted my previous experience with smoking a brisket on my tiny Weber here: http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245293
My takeaway from that experience was that I really needed new equipment before trying that again. However, 6 weeks later I still had no new equipment, but I did have a 9 lb pork butt I picked up for 99c/lb. So there I was again smoking on the same undersized equipment.

Here's how it went: (I throw this out there to keep a record for myself and to get feedback, but also I hope to make the process less mysterious for other newbs like me.)

I bought the meat on Friday, but couldn't smoke till Sunday evening, so I dry brined it with 1/2 tbsp. kosher salt per lb and threw it in the fridge.
IMG_6526_zpsusud4skz.jpg

With limited space, I wanted to make the meat more compact, so before cooking I bound it up.
IMG_6527_zpsopg1p2ri.jpg

Here's my charcoal snake. Starting late in the afternoon, I only had about 6 hours to cook, before transferring it to the oven. This amount was more than enough. The pan was used to define my indirect zone and catch drippings. I didn't put water in it.
IMG_6524_zpsyebm1uex.jpg

Here's the meat on the grill rubbed down with Dillo Dust. That's pecan wood on the coals. I maintained that spacing of wood the whole length of the snake. I targeted 250*. I'm really not sure I hit that number well, since I can never trust my probe placement when there's very little grill that's not either under the meat or over the coals.
IMG_6528_zpsoai1oboj.jpg

I was given this rub as a gift, and didn't really know how it would turn out. I had been sprinkling it on vegetables to good effect before this cook.
IMG_6530_zpsivw3t9ej.jpg

At 5 1/2 hours it started raining, so we quickly transferred it to the oven at 225*. Here it is going in.
IMG_6531_zps5yqnwoo3.jpg

Here it is after 18 hours (WHAT???!!!) having finally reached 195*. I figured I was trading moisture for tenderness, and I chose tenderness.
IMG_6532_zpszfspoiuj.jpg

The bone pulled out easily (once the bark let go of it) and it shredded well. The bark was pretty salty, I'm not sure whether to blame that more on the amount of salt I used for the dry brine, or that salt is the 2nd ingredient in the rub (after sugar.) It still tasted good.
IMG_6533_zpsjl72u4oc.jpg

Here's the sandwich. No complaints at all with this. My wife made the slaw with a bag of slaw veggies from the produce section, mayo, apple cider vinegar, celery seed, salt and pepper. Since we omitted barbecue sauce so as not to mask the pork, we amped up the vinegar content of the slaw to compensate. It was the right move.
IMG_6535_zpslh4jkdad.jpg

My takeaway from this experience:
  1. This was a lot easier than the brisket. Multiple people commented after my brisket cook that pork shoulder is a more forgiving meat, and they were right. 18 hours cooking, I was ready for the meat to be as dry as a popcorn fart, but it was not. To be sure, it could have been more moist, but it forgave a lot.
  2. Friends raved about this pork, even reheated several days later. Granted, these were not barbecue snobs, but it goes to show that it doesn't have to be hard to make great tasting barbecue at home. This was only my second attempt at smoking anything other than salmon.
  3. My oven thermometer cannot be trusted. While the meat was in the oven, I kept the probe in the meat, and trusted that the oven was at 225*. I checked on it after 6 hours (11.5 hr total cook time) and the meat was still at 170*. Another 2 hours and the meat was still at 170*. I figured that to be at stall temp at 13.5 hrs, then my oven temp was way too low. After that I kept incrementing the oven temp up and by noon (18 hrs) the meat finally hit 195*. I guess I need a dual probe thermometer even for my oven.
  4. I probably didn't need to dry brine, but the meat was going to be sitting in the fridge for 2 days anyway, and I didn't think it could hurt anything. And while I liked the rub, I'm not sure it did much more that flavor the bark, but I guess there's value in that.
  5. I still struggle with monitoring grill temps. In the cramped confines of the 18" Weber, the grill space is either meat or fire. I placed the probe next to the meat on the far side from the fire (as you can see above.) I figured that would probably read too low, but I'd rather underestimate the fire than overestimate it.

Looks pretty good to me, but I have never cooked a butt that long. Rather than dry-brining for 2 days, I would have probably left it in the cryo bag until you were ready to season. Most commercial rubs are very salty, so you got a double (or triple) dose of salt in the bark.

i would skip the brine. in the 18" i would bank the coals to one side and use aluminum foil as a barrier with the butt on the opposite side.

Agree, skip the brine it is not need for smoking a Butt, after 4-5hrs you should have plenty of smoke on it. So if you need to finish it in the oven wrap in foil or put it in a pan covered tightly with foil and crank the temp to 300-325 and get er done, a Butt can handle it no problem.

First off...looks good. Congratulations. There's no confidence booster like success.

A 9# butt is "full size". They are going to take a while unless you give it some heat. Since you're new, you have probably fallen into the "bbq MUST be cooked at 225*" trap. Guess how long a 9# butt will take to cook at 225? You guessed it...18 hours! LoL

Barbecue doesn't require low & slow temps to become tender. It only requires the amount of time it takes for the collagen to break down...THAT is what makes it tender. More heat will get you there faster.

Your fuze method (I was doing that 15 years ago when the only pit I had at the time was a grill similar to yours) works just fine. Use whatcha got...that's what I always say. Heat is heat & smoke is smoke.

When you transfer to the oven feel free to wrap in foil and bump the temp up to 275-350. Anywhere in that range will push it to the end much faster. The key for "you" is to be prepared for that. I guarantee that you could have that butt done in 8-10 hours (and that's without being too aggressive).

I'm like the others in that I'd skip that dry brine with a commercial rub on top. The butt will be fine hanging out in the fridge. If anything, rub it 12 hours or so before cooking...but only if that sort of thing makes you feel better.

Personally, I would have just stuck with the salt & smoked the thing.

Again, looks really good. Glad y'all enjoyed it.

Nice looking pork.... I did a butt on my 18inch kettle last weekend just for fun... I ran mine using minion method and it took about 6 hours at 300 to 325

Thanks for the input, guys.

I'm definitely sold that the brining was unnecessary. It seemed superfluous even while I was doing it.
I know that bigger equipment would help a lot, and I'm kinda in that watching-Craigslist mode, but at the same time, there's something fun about doing things the hard way (to a point.)
I'll also try to bring myself to cook above 300*. Not sure why I resist that.
I've read opinions that one of the trade offs of foil wrapping is a softened bark and meat texture. Anyone find that to be true to any noticeable degree?

Yes wrapping will change the bark but you should try both and see which you like best. 1st time you cook a butt around 300 you'll never go back to 225.

Yes, wrapping will soften the bark. But so will holding in a cooler for hours. And so will pulling and let it sit/steam in a bowl before serving.

If I want crunchy bits in my pork, I'll cook it with the skin on.

Whew not I had a WSM, I would fill the charcoal ring (no minion method) with lump charcoal and start it with a chimney of briqs. I would use the water pan wrapped in foil to give me a good indirect cooking heat. The WSM would run at 240-275* with the lump and would hold this temp throughout the cook. I usually wrap a butt at 160* no matter what I'm cooking in or the butt size. I put about 1/2 cup of apple juice in the foil. The apple juice helps with flavor, tenderness and helps power through the stall. I check for tenderness and bone wiggle at 200* and go from there.

Good luck and good smoking, Joe. :thumb:

I did 4 medium sized butts yesterday (6.5#-7.5#). The entire cook was done in six (6) hours.

22" WSM...full ring of Kingsford blue...3 fist sized chunks of pecan & 1 chunk of oak...just shy of half a small chimney of coals dumped right in the center of the briquettes. Put all four butts on the top right at exactly 12noon...had a couple inches of water in the pan & all 3 lower vents open.

An hour later at 1pm the dome gauge read 310*...at 2pm it was a hair under 335*. Held there until 4:30pm when I had to leave for work. I wrapped them, went to work, and put them in the oven there right at 5pm. They cruised in the oven for an hour & probed tender at that point. Out at 6pm.

I never temped them. All I did was probe them at 4:30 when they had to come off the WSM, and I probed them again at 6pm after being in the oven for an hour. Like butter.

Just heat & meat, my friend...just heat & meat.

Last edited:
Back