Pulled Pork, just pulled pork

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
This time, from my blog, the pulled pork I made just to add moisture to the cooker while making that tri-tip. I had no use for all this pork, probably just leave the bags on the sidewalk somewhere. And I did chop some, mostly the bark so SirPorkALot can be happy.

I was running an experimental cook last night and decided that burning a load of charcoal just to cook a 2 pound experiment made no sense, so I got 2 9 pound pork butts and went to town. Nothing fancy here folks, this is good old BBQ, slow smoked over hickory for 15 hours until the bone pulls and the butt pulls. The UDS was set up for a long burn with a mix of Royal Oak briquettes and Pretty Good Charcoal lump and 3 pieces of apple wood. The overall smoke took from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 a.m. with temperatures running from 200F to 250F, I still need to learn the UDS.

The subjects, ready for seasoning

I wash any meat, but, I give special care to pork from cryovac as it can have a bit of a funk, I like to wash in cold water, then dry it and let it sit on counter for 10 minutes. Then the nose will tell me if it is good to go. Seasoning was to be pretty straight forward.

Rubbed up Butts, oh baby!

The butts were rubbed the night before with a medium dusting of Dizzy Dust Salt-free BBQ rub and allowed to rest in the fridge. The butts were then rubbed with a combination of 45% Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy and 45% Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple and 10% Phu Quoc medium grind white pepper. This was rubbed on and allowed to sit for one hour and reapplied just before hitting the pit. I do this to get a good built up bark.

3 hours into the cook

It went onto the pit and from about 3 hours to when I checked at 6 hours, it held this gorgeous red color. I considered foiling them to hold the color, but, alas, no large foil. So it was to be cooked au naturel. I had hoped for a short cook, but that was not to be, these stubborn butts took all of 15 hours to get to where the bone would pull.

See, clean bone!

Another shot of the hole left when the bone pulls clean and easy. I did end up panning the last 3 hours, to see if I could get some additional liquid. This worked out great, as I could add it back into the pulled meat. It was a nice dark unctuous gelatin once I got it cooled to remove the fat.

Nice clean pull, good dark coloring

From here it is all about letting the meat pull into the shreds and chunks it want to be in. I don't like mechanical shredders or trying to get everything just so. I like a variety of textures and sizes. I do reserve the bark and give it a good chop, as I like to have small bits throughout the mix. Here is an example of how the textures can vary.

Shreads, chunks and strips

And a mess o' pork which was drizzled with the reserved liquid from the cooking and a little BBQ sauce from Big Butz Sauces for a punch of moisture. You can see a wide variety of textures and colors, to me, this really represents what I like in pulled pork.

Mess O' Pork

This will later find it's way onto some cheap hamburger buns. Where is the beer?​

Finally! I've been waiting for you to post this. Nice bark, looks juicy and the texture, from the photos anyway, looks perfect. Now give some to John so he'll shut up.:-D

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1913658 said:
Nice cook, I have the same problem, for me Pulled Pork is the best right as you are pulling it! :thumb:

That's how I get rid of the excess fat. Good thing I'm already on a cholesterol
med...:roll:

The truly odd thing is how much pork falls up from the counter and into my mouth when I am pulling the meat. There is no way to make that sound quite right.

Pork butt seems to have the ability to defy gravity when pulled. I have the same problem -- it floats up, and being that my hands are full, I have to catch it with my mouth. I don't want to spit it back into the tray -- that would be nasty -- so I end up having to eat it. By the time dinner is served, I'm full. I hate that.

CD :becky:

The truly odd thing is how much pork falls up from the counter and into my mouth when I am pulling the meat. There is no way to make that sound quite right.

I don't see how you'd be able to help it with something that looks, and I'll bet smells that great. Some dijon mustard, a little bbq sauce, and a big squeeze of honey, all on a toasted bun... mmmm... I'm there!! :thumb:

Man.. That's on point! Did any of the tri tip flavor come through?? :becky::wink::wink:

I have no problems with the pork floating to my mouth... I'm the one that puts it there! :thumb:

But seriously... whatchyagunnodo with all that PP?

Cheers

Ah yes, pork butt cooked like a pork butt, how novel. I think you have inspired me to mimic this experiment myself this weekend.

Funny enough, if I am cooking a brisket, I often fill the rest of whatever cooker I am using with pork of some kind. I believe the moisture makes a difference. No beef flavor.

Very nice, landarc! I'd hit that hard!

I love pork cooked like brisket, too. I will be cooking some eggs like a brisket as well as some chicken like a brisket, some mutton like a brisket, and some brisket like a brisket. I hear that it all tastes like brisket too. :crazy:

Just kidding, bro. :p

Beautiful job on the cook and the pix :clap2:

I keep wondering if I'll ever get tired of pulled pork - I don't think it's ever gonna happen.

Landarc, looks like you are becoming famous!

picture.php

Back