Pulled pork for a hundred...

Texas Turtle

Take a breath!
No, it's not a quote from the latest Jeopardy rerun, I just volunteered (?) to help my spousal unit prepare pulled pork baked potatos for our church's Wednesday night dinner next week. Usual crowd is 80 -90 but the standard is to prepare enough for 100 since the attendance is growing. The church provides the meat, so the real question is how many butts do I need to cook for this event. Since it is going on a potato, I am assuming about 1/4 pound of cooked pork per person, so I will need about 25 - 30 pounds net. If you assume a 75% yield, I would need around 40 pounds uncooked. I'd like to do this in one cook on my 22.5 WSM, but I can fire up the offset if necessary. I don't know if I can get five 8-pound butts on it since I have never done that many. The last time I did a butt on the offset I tried Myron's method in a foil pan and it took two forevers to get done (but it was really good). Any of you guys with catering experience care to comment?

I'll be watching with interest. My church has about 100, and I've thought about volunteering the use of my 22.5 WSM.

I forsee a pyramid stack of butts, like the mound of cannon balls on a pirate ship, on the top rack and a 17# bag of Kingsford.

I've done more than a few large cooks and have weighed both pre and post cook to get a good yield number. What I've found (with pretty good consistency) is a 40% waste, or 60% yield from raw, untrimmed weight.

So, here's how I'd work the math for 100 people.....

I usually figure 1/4 lb portions per person, so you're going to want 100 cooked portions, which is 100x1/4, or 25 pounds COOKED pulled pork.

25 lbs / 0.60 is 41.667 lbs of raw. (60% of 41.67 lbs is 25 lbs)

So, you'll want to start with about 42 lbs of butts. I usually round up to the nearest whole butt. If it were me, figuring on an 8 lb average per raw butt, I'd be cooking 6 butts, or about 48 lbs to start with. This will leave you a little breathing room too, just in case you need extra.

48 lbs of raw butts (at 40% loss) should yield 28.8 lbs of cooked meat, or 115 1/4 lb portions.

If you wanna be real safe and figure a 50% loss, then either get bigger butts (say 10 lb'ers) or cook 7 - 8 lb'ers to get you to a total of 55-60 lbs pre cooked weight. This will get you 110-120 1/4 lb portions respectively.

Good luck on the cook!

How much PP would be needed for each tater??

1/4 # sounds like a lot, but.....I have no clue :redface:
And, leftovers of cheaper meats are a good thing.

But, from there the math from Wampus is the deal.

Sounds like a great meal coming up.

TIM

I figure 3/4 lb uncooked weight per person based on a 1/3 lb serving size( 5.3 oz) so 100 servings 75 lb raw weight.

I'm doing a church cook in April - did it last year and ran out of meat. 150 men and boys - 4 pork shoulders and 2 briskets with 40 brauts. This year doing 6 pork shoulders, 3 briskets and a mess of hot dogs. We are also going to use smaller rolls and not hamburger buns for the pulled pork. I don' t know if the 22.5 will do the amount of meat you are wanting to do at one time.

I haven't done it, but I know some guys have put 8 butts on the uds.

I've done 8 butts on my UDS a few times. It's not ideal cuz I like to keep as much space for air/smoke movement as possible, but it can certainly be done (with 2 cooking racks of course). So they will also fit on a 22.5" WSM.

I just don't think you'll need that many butts to get this done. 6 oughta do it.

In fact....

Here's a photo of my UDS loaded up with all 8 butts. These weighed in at right at 8 lbs each (+/-). You can't really see the bottom rack, but this is the top rack.

A 22.5" UDS has pretty much the exact same rack sizes as these 22.5" weber grill racks on my UDS.

IMG_4869.jpg

You cook that much for PP put in Taters?

TIM
Yes I do My BBQ is that good.:mrgreen: I figure a 5.3 oz serving per person. figuring a 60% Yield that leaves me with 2.5 oz extra per serving or a little over 2 lbs that Can be sold as take out for additional profits to the parsonage

Thanks for the help, guys. Looks like I may start with 6 butts, hoping for some or all to be over the 8 pound mark. Since my son-in-law provides the meat from his job as manager of the local supermarket, I may be able to influence the size somewhat.

What they all said above; Wampus has you right on the money. If you can, get those butts in that 9# range. If nothing else, a few left-overs never hurt.

As usual, I'm gonna cook too much rather than too little. I have to serve this stuff on Wednesday evening at church. If I cook it on Saturday or Sunday, how do I store it until then? Freezer, fridge, or just take wednesday off and put them on the WSM at 4:00?

Back