Pretty pissed off....T Bone steaks

I agree with Phrasty, most likely it was going to be tough no matter what. Whenever our local grocery store has a "sale" on steaks they look like some old milk cow was butchered.

I'm not a fan of NY Strips. I've cooked Ribeyes to med well, which is how I like them and they are never leathery. I also don't usually marinate. Just rub with EVOO and salt/pepper or whatever rub I feel like using. I usually do add a little brown sugar to get a nice char. That's just how I do it. I also like to cook them at a pit temp of 500+.

To confuse you more, I don't think wrapping in foil contributed to your problem. I wrap steaks in foil all the time with no issues as far as tenderness goes.

I think you just grilled over a really, really hot fire. The way my mind works, I would buy the same steaks again from the same grocer and try it again with a smaller fire...or same firre and monitor your temps closer and see if you only need to grill for shorter period of time.

IMHO, definitely was steaming in the foil. You can make any grade or cut of beef tough by overcooking and conversely you can salvage any grade or tough cut by proper cooking ie brisket which is inherently tough unless properly cooked. Most "flyer special advertised" steaks are what's called utility grade. A utility grade (butchered milk cows, cull steers etc.) T-bones are still part strip and part tenderloin though so you can make them pretty tender, although not as juicy or tasty due to typically lower marbling. I don't think marinating is a bad idea as long as you go easy on the salt, it penetrates much deeper on sliced cuts like steaks than it does on thick whole tissue clods like roasts etc. and drives out the natural juices. Also be VERY careful if you put citrus juices or vinegars in your marinades because they will actually chemically cook the meat. If you're still not sure, bring them bad boys over here next time and we'll get it right. One word of warning though, in my house the saying is "rare or ruined"!!!!!!

In general I believe the leaner the meat the hotter and faster and to a lower temperature you want to cook it. You took a lean steak cooked it too low, too slow, and too much honestly I think. Try a 500 or higher degree fire, just a few minutes per side, and ending at 130-135 degrees max next time. The steaks may not have had great marbling but if you overcook strip or tenderloid it doesn't have a chance. If you have a mental block on pink meat then you need to move to a meat that will be better when braised like chuck.

I appreciate everyone's input. Yes, in my household, everyone asks for medium well, so pulling them off at 130 isn't an option.
I did sprinkle with salt AND I added Moore's marinade, so maybe that was over doing it.
Also, my fire wasn't extremely hot, but was in the 425 range on the tstat and I put the steaks very close to the heat source, so they may have been exposed to about 500 degree heat.
Moving forward, I think I'm gonna stick with ribeyes, some EVOO and salt/pepper.

Thanks again everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep... sometimes when you cook, you can just be unfortunate and rack up all the worst variables in one go.

1. Family likes medium well.... Strike.
2. Cheap cut of meat.... Strike.
3. Marinade / salt changed the internal structure / moisture of the meat.... Strike.
4. Fire too Hot.... Strike
5. Grilled too long to a IT too high.... Strike
6. Foiled tightly so the meat kept right on cooking.... Strike..

Just change one or two of those factors and you'd probably not have been so dissapointed.

2 Main points IMHO, you really need to work on the family about "medium well". Having marinaded for so long, getting to "medium well" would really have meant 145F, not 155F. The colour would still have been fine for the family most likely.

Cheers!

Bill

I've been in your shoes before. A couple years ago I bought a bunch of steaks (ribeye and strip) for the family get together on Father's Day. We cooked them well (medium) and they tasted good, but every one of them was tough. I took the rest of the uncooked steaks home to freeze and made them a few different ways. No matter what I tried they always came out tough. After those steaks I stopped buying meat for that store until recently. The last couple steaks I've made turned out well. I think it was just a bad bunch of meat.

+1 on don't foil.

Also google Jaccard. The thing can often taken a so so cut of meat and turn it into something tender.

I usually use it on strip steaks including the strip portion of a T-Bone/Porterhouse unless it is an exceptional cut of meat. IE: prime etc.

I was wanting 155 IT. Everyone in my household like medium well steaks.
Medium well doesn't have to mean shoe leather, I hope.

My former SIL only ate well done, and a good steak would go to well done and still be tender.

I never marinate steaks, so I can't comment on that, but your description of your cook sounds okay, to me, although I don't see a reason to foil a steak.

I have had t-bones and NYS steaks that have looked and tasted great, but like yours, have been tough. I don't think you cooked them wrong.

The strip side, of course, is always tougher than the tenderloin side. Some t-bone strips are just tougher than others. That's why I'm a ribeye fan. I rarely get a tough ribeye.

BTW, I cooked a t-bone for the Caveman throwdown this weekend, and cooked it right on the hot coals. It was the first time I have ever done that. It was outstanding. Try it sometime. :thumb:

CD

I don't see the point in the foil. Once you sear the steaks, the juices should be 'sealed' inside. Medium well should still produce a juicy steak without the foil.

I guess I don't understand the reason for the foil.

Hey Snyper, I agree with most that they were probably not quality steaks. My biggest advice would be to use a thinner cut of steak if you insist on medium well or well done steaks. It just takes took long at hot temps to get the middle of the steak done. My wife "requires" lean, well done steaks (yes, with ketchup...) so I generally butterfly filets for her. Thick filets will end up like hockey pucks if you cook them to well done! I like to keep the heat high for char grilling (otherwise, you're just baking a steak.) Shoot, Ruth's Chris sears theirs at 1800 degrees!

I personally would not marinate a T-bone or foil. A marinated piece of meat will generally cook a bit faster than one un marinated so I would not have taken it to 155 because it will be done at a lower temp and it will continue to rise especially after the long tight foil period, I bet it went to at least 160 or more.

You did not mention if the steak was well marbled, which I am sure you know should make for a juicer steak that is why so many like a rib eye usually a much higher fat content.

As for the high heat nothing wrong with that to sear. If you then want a med steak, move it to a lower heat or shut off the heat if its gas and just let it finish out.

I have never took an internal temp on any kind of steak, I just go by feel and. Cooking in restaurants I have never seen a cook use a temp gage on a steak or foil one. If you are not sure how it is cooked you can pick it up with tongs and bend it hard without tearing the steak and if it shows some red it is still rare to med rare but for me feel is the best method. I really have never timed one either. I believe less than ten minutes and un foiled would have been more than enough time with maybe a 5 or 6 minute rest.

Now this will make some upset with me but I believe, in no such thing as bad/tough meat, only cooks that don't know how to deal with it properly.
Dave

Back