Prepping and freezing chicken before comp

Buckshot Malone

Knows what a fatty is.
For those guys/gals that trim and freeze your chicken prior to competition, I have a few questions. How far in advance do you freeze? When/how do you thaw? Notice any effects from the freezing?

Thanks.

Jeff

I freeze all my comp meats. just by the freshest you can and Vac seal it ... Brisket and Butts I take out 3 days before I'm leaving Ribs and chicken the day before to thaw in fridge ... This has been working very well for me

I don't prep and freeze my chicken ahead of time, but I did take 4 frozen bags of chicken out of the freezer Tuesday that were rejects from last Oct and Nov. I cooked up 32 pieces Sunday and would have been happy to turn in the best 8 for a contest.

I get my chicken from Costco and even though it is "fresh" it always seems like in the meat case half the chicken is partially frozen. I buy chicken typically on the Tuesday before the competition and trim Wed or Thurs as it normally needs a day to thaw. It appears to not have any effects :-D

I never had frozen chicken for a contest, until last sept. I bought 120 thighs, cut up the best 72 for 4 contests.. longest 4 hours of my life!.. (I think that's how long it took) chicken turned out fine though.. I would do it again.. and probably will.

I have prepped and froze and don't see a problem with it, but I was on a kick at the end of last year to do everything fresh. We had our two best ever scores the last two contests, so now I'm reluctant to go back to freezing. I'm pretty sure I couldn't tell a difference in a side by side test, but it's just one of those 'ain't broke, don't fix it' things for me.

I've tried it a couple times and didn't notice any difference. I don't recall if our scores were any different either. Typically I purchase fresh chicken on Wednesday, trim & prep that night and vacuum pack.

JT

Back