THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BigButzBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Once in awhile I don't like to know what I'm cooking. I like to think of it as an on-the-spot sort of challenge of sorts. When my wife called me up the other day and said she was at the grocery store, she asked what I wanted her to pick up. I told her that I Didn't care what she picked up but, she had to make sure that it was going to be enough to fire up the smoker.
When she got home that day all she told me about it was that it was a roast. I didn't ask any other questions. I Didn't know the size and didn't know if it was beef or pork.
When I got up Sunday morning, I opened up the fridge and found... Pork Sirloin Roast! :clap:
But... How do I cook it? :confused:
Actually, to be more accurate, what internal temp does it need to hit before it goes for a rest and is considered done?
There was a quick search of the net which yielded nothing worthwhile, mainly because the internet has now been flooded with the new pork internal cooking guidelines.
In the end, I figured I'd just have to wing it. I decided to give myself around 5 hours to cook it. Out came the roast and some Pig Pollen.
003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

009-2.jpg

010-2.jpg

On to the UDS it went.
mms_picture-1-2.jpg

While the roast was smoking away, I decided to do some experimenting. Out came a jar with some Carolina Magic in it and some other ingredients.
014.jpg

I put a line on the half way point on the jar, dumped in the vinegar, and shook it.
017-1.jpg

018-1.jpg

019-4.jpg

Next came the mustard and another shake.
021-1.jpg

023-5.jpg

025-4.jpg

But, more of that later.
As far as the Sirloin Roast goes. It was cooked at around 300 for 4 hours. For some reason my UDS was running really hot that day and I actually think that it got near 400 at one point! As I kept watching the internal temp, I started to panic.
mms_picture-3-1.jpg

Do I let it go or do I pull it early? Normally, with a loin, I would pull it once it hit around 140. With a pork butt would go up to 200 of course. I decided to split the difference and pulled it at 160.
027-1.jpg

031.jpg

After an hour rest, I decided to slice it up.
032-1.jpg

035.jpg

034.jpg

I have to say, I'm still not sure what I should have cooked it at but, it was extremely juicy and flavorful. It had a bit of toughness in a couple of the bites but, overall, it was awesome!
0703111857-1.jpg

As for the experiment? It was darn tasty!
0703111858a-1.jpg

This became ridiculously addictive. I found myself spooning out the sauce onto the plate and then dipping slice after slice of the pork into it. Couldn't get the rest of the family to try it but, the definitely agreed that the pork rocked. :thumb:

014.jpg

Please do tell what's in this Carolina Magic and what other ingredients? I love mustard and have trying to stay away from a lot of sugar and that looks really tasty!!!!! Especially like this!!!!!

0703111858a-1.jpg

Probably the least forgiving cut of pork due to lean nature. At first, I thought it was perhaps a cut of front shoulder picnic portion due to shank bone. After cooking a few times, I did some research because it was sooooo lean. I think temps are best near loin temps (140's). My local market has the sirloin and rib (bone-in loin) chops for about the same price.

I read this article a few weeks where this person suggests the sirloin cut is best brined, but what do they know!?!? I tried one sirloin chop with a quick sear, but the rub had too much sugar and burned. Oh well, the dog did not complain.
http://www.themeatsource.com/sirloinporkchops.html

Interesting. I was gonna say 160 before reading down and finding out that's what you ended up at. I've never seen that cut either, but I buy pork tri-tips from time to time. They seem to be even a little leaner than the sirloin, so I normally inject, then smoke to 160 and pull.

What I find even more interesting is that some of you pull loins at 140? I didn't think that was safe, but maybe that's just what the government wants me to believe! :tsk: If 140 is what you go to on loins, because they're so lean, I should try that on the tri-tip as well. It would probably be better, because they are crazy lean.

Interesting. I was gonna say 160 before reading down and finding out that's what you ended up at. I've never seen that cut either, but I buy pork tri-tips from time to time. They seem to be even a little leaner than the sirloin, so I normally inject, then smoke to 160 and pull.

What I find even more interesting is that some of you pull loins at 140? I didn't think that was safe, but maybe that's just what the government wants me to believe! :tsk: If 140 is what you go to on loins, because they're so lean, I should try that on the tri-tip as well. It would probably be better, because they are crazy lean.

I pull loins at 135, then wrap and rest for an hour, final temp is around 143. Perfection for lean pork. USDA recently lowered the suggested finished cooking temp of pork from 160 to 145. We've all known that all along anyways... At least I did ;)

But in the next few weeks, we'll still see topics about how people cooked their loins to 150+ before resting, and wondering why the results are so poor. :becky:

I pull loins at 135, then wrap and rest for an hour, final temp is around 143. Perfection for lean pork. USDA recently lowered the suggested finished cooking temp of pork from 160 to 145. We've all known that all along anyways... At least I did ;)

But in the next few weeks, we'll still see topics about how people cooked their loins to 150+ before resting, and wondering why the results are so poor. :becky:
+1. I've been cooking loins to 135/140 for several years now as over cooking them is a waste of meat.:thumb:

FYI Syndicate, I pull tri tips at around the same temp, 135ish, then wrap and rest for a while. There is no reason in the world to overcook lean meat! (unless you're married to "one of those people", which I am not).

Back