Pork Ribs, Beef Ribs, and Cornell Chicken

Kyle Serlington

Full Fledged Farker
I did a big cook for myself today. I made sauces last night and a peanut butter pie and put the chicken in Salamida's marinade, then today i put the ribs and chicken on the smoker and then made some mac salad and sweet potatoes.

I took the chicken off for lunch. a recent thread on here made me want to get the Salamida's marinade because people were saying that it makes the skin crispy. I think i overcooked the chicken a little, but it was still alright. the skin seemed crisp when i was poking at it on the smoker, then i took it off and let it rest a little, and it was kind of crisp, but it was tough and not bite through, definitely not rubbery though. the top grate of my WSM was running just under 300 and i cooked it for a little over 3 hours. I think a shorter cook at a higher temp probably would have worked out better. My mac salad came out pretty good though! it was only my 2nd time ever making it
7695_10153396130536373_4117914260850276700_n.jpg

then after lunch I had some PB pie while i waited for my ribs to cook. I used the recipe from the Dinosaur BBQ cookbook. I've made it plenty of times and it's a hard recipe to beat, but i altered it a little. instead of a chocolate cookie crust i used a shortbread crust and then i melted some chocolate chips and topped the pie with it
1915188_10153396130401373_6036075039868100397_n.jpg

the beef ribs were actually done when the chicken was, but i wanted them for dinner, so i wrapped them and held them in a cooler.

10672058_10153396130711373_7261292690065261076_n.jpg

i had the pork ribs on the bottom rack for most of the cook, which was running at around 275. i think they were on for a little over 5 hours total, they were really meaty, probably the best rack i ever got from a store. i got a nice bark on them too!

600709_10153396131051373_4594024071769492298_n.jpg

they passed the bend test!
12799396_10153396131126373_1616882862511510519_n.jpg

after the bend test i cut the rack in half to save one part for leftovers, but then i sauced the pork ribs and put them back in the smoker to set the sauce, and i took half of the beef ribs out of the cooler and sauced them too and threw em on. i have a sauce that i make that i really love on beef, and the flavor of the ribs was pretty good, and i got a great smoke ring, but even though these ribs were super cheap, they weren't really worth it, there just wasn't enough meat on the bones, i haven't been able to find a place in my area yet that sells meaty beef ribs, they all have shiners.

12494939_10153396131166373_354878466705422377_n.jpg

and now for the main event, the pork ribs! these were some of the best i've ever made, maybe even some of the best i've ever eaten! they were tender but not falling apart, and i made a really nice sauce for them using root beer and a green bell pepper. They were very moist and had a good smoke flavor from the apple and hickory wood. The sweet potatoes came out amazing too! i never liked them when i was a kid, but i've come around on them recently, this was only my 2nd time making them but i think i've perfected my recipe, i put a little whiskey in with the potatoes and for the topping i mixed crushed gingersnaps in with the crumb mixture, and i added a little maple syrup too. thanks for lookin!
993567_10153396131231373_3724985896812404018_n.jpg

Looking goooood!!!

That chicken looks fan friggin tastic! It's to bad about the skin. Chicken still remains my arch enemy on the smoker. I just can't do it. If mine looked half as good as yours I would be real happy.

What an awesome cook Kyle, everything looks great.

As far as Salamida's marinade, when I used it for the first time, I was super impressed with the results.

I let the chicken marinate refrigerated overnight and cooked it at 300. The resulting skin was as thin as rice paper, very crispy and flavorful.

As far as Salamida's marinade, when I used it for the first time, I was super impressed with the results.

I let the chicken marinate refrigerated overnight and cooked it at 300. The resulting skin was as thin as rice paper, very crispy and flavorful.

yeah, i saw potential in it and i will definitely use it again, but next time i think i will stick with leg quarters instead of a half chicken. i don't cook this style of chicken too often because i eat a lot of it during the spring and summer from a local restaurant that does a very good version of it, but i'll probably cook at some point this year when i have people up. the salamida marinade is definitely tweaked from the original cornell recipe, the spices don't seem the same but the flavor is very good

also, did you baste at all during the cook? after the first hour i basted and flipped the chicken about every 30 minutes

Looking goooood!!!

That chicken looks fan friggin tastic! It's to bad about the skin. Chicken still remains my arch enemy on the smoker. I just can't do it. If mine looked half as good as yours I would be real happy.

a lot of the time i use a high heat finish on a gas grill to crisp up the skin and char the sauce into the meat, and that usually works out pretty well for me, but that's when i do a different style. usually brine chicken overnight and then in the morning i'll take it out of the brine and mix equal parts dry rub and vegetable oil and then let the chicken sit in that for a while before throwing it on the grill. i think next time i use the cornell marinade though i might try finishing it on a high heat grill with a fresh coat of marinade

yeah, i saw potential in it and i will definitely use it again, but next time i think i will stick with leg quarters instead of a half chicken. i don't cook this style of chicken too often because i eat a lot of it during the spring and summer from a local restaurant that does a very good version of it, but i'll probably cook at some point this year when i have people up. the salamida marinade is definitely tweaked from the original cornell recipe, the spices don't seem the same but the flavor is very good

also, did you baste at all during the cook? after the first hour i basted and flipped the chicken about every 30 minutes

No, didn't baste at all. Just put it skin side down on the kettle over the coals, flipped it and then put it on the indirect heat side for a while, then finished with direct heat skin side down and another flip. Two pieces had to go back to indirect to get to get the thighs to 165°. Never basted but did let it marinade overnight, about 8 or 9 hours..

Back