Pork Belly from the Red Box Smoker

RemoGaggi

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
RemoGaggi
I ordered my Red Box last week Monday and received it promptly on Friday via Fedex. It's packed nicely and has the feel of a quality smoker. The charcoal tray comes with an insert to keep the charcoal off the flat bottom and the grates are surprisingly pretty heavy duty. I had some expanded metal and added it to the firebox per PJTexas (Thanks PJ!). The original water pan is a deep restaurant steamer pan. I happened to have one that was more shallow, so I used that to give my modded charcoal tray sufficient room. (The water pan did run dry a bit, so I need to keep a better eye on that next time).

I picked up a small piece of pretty lean pork belly from the Asian market, removed the skin and rubbed it with some Obie Cue Smooth Moove and John Henry Pecan rub. I added 3 quarts of hot water to the tray and got the temp steady at 250 degrees. I foiled it about 2.5hrs for about and hour and then put it back in naked for about 20 minutes. It came out super good. Here's some pics!

Red Box Smoker

Inside - 3 racks

Charcoal tray w/insert

Modded Charcoal Tray

Water Pan - Stock on Left / Mine on Right

Pork Belly near completion

Done!

Thanks again to the fellas that pushed me over the edge to get this. I'm really happy with it.

Nice work! I see that you didn't over season the cook chamber like I did. Its SS, right? I think you're right about it feeling sturdier than it looks. Glad you like it. I always get nervous when I recommend a cooker and someone actually buys it. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Everything looks right, from the purchase to the cook. I really like the mod on the charcoal tray. Nice!

Back