THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lees23

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Name or Nickame
Steve
The deal that Pitts and Spitts is currently offering makes the YS640s and a PS Maverick 1250 w/WI-FI are almost the same cost when considering options and tax (P&S doesn’t collect in my state, Yoder does). Seems like a pretty easy decision for the P&S, correct? The one thing the Yoder has is a better WI-FI set up(app) and dual meet probes. Seems like P&S gets the upper hand on all other categories.

What say you???

(I was going to buy a $900 GMG but there is no way China is getting any of my money for a grill.)

Safe to assume you’ll only be smoking/roasting on said unit, with little to no grilling?

Lots of grilling.

This is just my opinion, but I think it is the opinion of many. Grilling will not be the strength of the Pitts unit. The Yoder I feel will be much more suited to that. Something that I feel is important to know and consider. On the Pitts you can have a small direct flame zone, but the opening is offset a bit cutting back on the intensity of the searing action. On the Yoder, you’ll have a larger searing area that is very intense. Both cookers (like all cookers) come with pros/cons. Whereas you may be able to sear better on the Yoder, you’re much more likely to battle paint failure on the Yoder. No such thing as a perfect cooker... so ya really just have to decide what you can live with/without. Personally, I do not think you will beat a MAK as a smoker AND everyday grill. With MAK’s Funnel Flame Zone, weeknight grilling is a fantastic experience. Side to side and front to back, you can grill up a meal with the same grilling intensity across the entire grill surface when needed. Yes, I own a MAK and my opinion is biased... lol... but I cannot recommend them highly enough. All that said, if you are set on Yoder vs Pitts and grilling is a huge priority, I’d vote Yoder. Just my 2 cents :)

Last edited:
This is just my opinion, but I think it is the opinion of many. Grilling will not be the strength of the Pitts unit. The Yoder I feel will be much more suited to that. Something that I feel is important to know and consider. On the Pitts you can have a small direct flame zone, but the opening is offset a bit cutting back on the intensity of the searing action. On the Yoder, you’ll have a larger searing area that is very intense. Both cookers (like all cookers) come with pros/cons. Whereas you may be able to sear better on the Yoder, you’re much more likely to battle paint failure on the Yoder. No such thing as a perfect cooker... so ya really just have to decide what you can live with/without. Personally, I do not think you will beat a MAK as a smoker AND everyday grill. With MAK’s Funnel Flame Zone, weeknight grilling is a fantastic experience. Side to side and front to back, you can grill up a meal with the same grilling intensity across the entire grilling when needed. Yes, I own a MAK and my opinion is biased... lol... but I cannot recommend them highly enough. All that said, if you are set on Yoder vs Pitts and grilling is a huge priority, I’d vote Yoder. Just my 2 cents :)

Appreciate the feedback. I don’t want to shell out 2900 for a Mak 2 star.

Also, the direct grilling options of the Yoder and P&S seem very similar. Both offset to the left side, both utilize a 2 piece/trapdoor drip pan. Am I missing something?

pitts has a diffuser plate over the fire and yoder doesn't. Pitt is heavier built, the bottom grate pulls out so it's easier to get the cap off the drip pan to sear. Also has WAY better temperature control from everything I've read and it is fully welded, the yoder has sealer...like rtv on the seams. My local dealer carries both. I just ordered a pitts and spitts today....850 model. The ys640s temp control is not great. This and having to take grates out to pull the cap off was a big deciding factor. Bottom line I believe the p&s is better made. Comparing 480 to 850 and 640 to 1250 I believe P&S to be a better cooker/smoker. There is only 1 pellet grill that has proven itself to sear GREAT and that is fast eddy. I still have hellfire (weber s670) for that if needed!!!!

pitts has a diffuser plate over the fire and yoder doesn't. Pitt is heavier built, the bottom grate pulls out so it's easier to get the cap off the drip pan to sear. Also has WAY better temperature control from everything I've read and it is fully welded, the yoder has sealer...like rtv on the seams. My local dealer carries both. I just ordered a pitts and spitts today....850 model. The ys640s temp control is not great. This and having to take grates out to pull the cap off was a big deciding factor. Bottom line I believe the p&s is better made. Comparing 480 to 850 and 640 to 1250 I believe P&S to be a better cooker/smoker. There is only 1 pellet grill that has proven itself to sear GREAT and that is fast eddy. I still have hellfire (weber s670) for that if needed!!!!

Awesome info. Where are you that you have a dealer that sells both?

Appreciate the feedback. I don’t want to shell out 2900 for a Mak 2 star.

Also, the direct grilling options of the Yoder and P&S seem very similar. Both offset to the left side, both utilize a 2 piece/trapdoor drip pan. Am I missing something?

When I say offset on the Pitts, I am referring to the opening not being directly over the fire like it is on the Yoder. The Yoder will expose much more direct heat. There are numerous things I prefer about the Pitts lineup, but personally I would still choose a Yoder IF grilling were a huge priority (which it is) to me. If grilling were not so important to me, hands down I’d take the Pitts. I am willing to bet that whichever way you go, you will learn to make it dance for you :)

Do you have a secondary grill that you could use for the searing action? That changes everything in my opinion.

Congrats buddy!!! The PS 850/Weber s670 will make for a fantastic team!!!!! What’s the wait time?

When I say offset on the Pitts, I am referring to the opening not being directly over the fire like it is on the Yoder. The Yoder will expose much more direct heat. There are numerous things I prefer about the Pitts lineup, but personally I would still choose a Yoder IF grilling were a huge priority (which it is) to me. If grilling were not so important to me, hands down I’d take the Pitts. I am willing to bet that whichever way you go, you will learn to make it dance for you :)

Do you have a secondary grill that you could use for the searing action? That changes everything in my opinion.

I have a Weber kettle and Rec Tec Bull.

I am in SE Wisconsin. Dealer is suppose to have it delivered within a day or 2!!!! They are great.....same place that I bought my GMG. Last year they had like 10 pellet grills going all different brands....I asked if they were selling all these brands now, it's a small place. Dad, mom and son operation. Josh the son said "no" just testing they wanted something between GMG and Memphis and now sell yoder and pitts. He asked me what I didn't like about the GMG other than being made overseas.....temp fluctuations. He said a Yoder fluctuates just like the GMG so I choose the P&S. I like a lot of the other things about it too.....on paper anyhow. We'll see how it cooks soon!!!!

Back