THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We're all here to help and learn from each other. Heck, I learn new things daily on here and plenty of times from new members.

Sako cooks thing that the rest of maybe dream about...he DA MAN!! Well, he and 16 Adams....

Seriously: I have had nothing but accolades about the stuff that comes off the PBC, including some guys that are stick burners only...yes, it runs a little hotter. Yes, 8 racks of ribs might get done in 3 hours. Yes, you can do a brisket in 6 hours...probably:-D

It's a great cooker. Boought mine in Feb based on this site, and a couple other reviews. I am fairly confident that I sold at least one during my 4th of July cook, folks were amazed...and I suck at cooking compared to SSV3, 16 Adams, and others....

You can add grate space
7aa642138a32895dc1accd3307a38f25.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

While there are tweaks that will allow you to add grate space the above setup will not work in the PBC.

Yep..seen some grate (pun intended) mods. Just like was stated in my post. You can also drill to add a second level. And I've seen people make mods to add a diffuser.

It can certainly be done.

My neighbor has one and continually on more than one occasion he has had to add coals to get an 8lb butt finished. He uses the lighter fluid method and I think that might be the reason why. I try not to get in his business about it but I've told him to try the chimney method instead.

My neighbor has one and continually on more than one occasion he has had to add coals to get an 8lb butt finished. He uses the lighter fluid method and I think that might be the reason why. I try not to get in his business about it but I've told him to try the chimney method instead.

Doesn't sound right even if he uses lighter fluid. A full basket of coals runs min of 8 hours and I've gone as long as 11 hours.

The only negative I can think of is I don't have enough space on the grill deck to add a PBC. First world problems...

Thanks, but I am just a MSU artiste' :icon_smile_tongue:

I am pretty much in awe of the "at home" food people churn out around here. Some cook to taste-some by feel- some have more culinary talent than I'll ever possess. I'll tell you my secret. I love photography and taking food photos. I like looking at others food photos.
So a lot of times when Im deciding what to cook, I'm basically wondering how it will photograph. I'm probably not going to do it but I think 4 of the 30 oz Tomahawk Ribeyes with holes drilled in the handle hanging in a PBC would make a killer photo-and an awesome feed. Swinging Meat- hard to beat.

I'm not referring to the diffuser, I was just showing you the grate mod. That setup is for my uds.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I understand and actually the diffuser portion of your mod would work in the PBC. The reason I don't think the grate mod would work is because 1, it looks like it'll sit up too high and be too close to the lid therefor making it not useful for anything except maybe wings......Also it looks like it could interfere with being able to put the rods in the PBC which are important because they help stabilize temperatures and keep the cooker from cooking in the 375-400° range. Your mod would probably work if a domed lid was used instead of the original flat PBC lid.

Most people mod the PBC in a manner that allows for a second grate to go below the first grate. Either by drilling extra holes and screwing in bolts to hold a second grate...... or a few or our members have found hardware that allows a second grate to hang about 6-8" below the first grate using the bolts that hold the first grate as anchors....If I had a picture it would make more sense....

Back