Pest Resistant Wood Pile

3Lcc4CW.jpg

my wood is off the ground with wood racks and I just put granular bag bug deterrent on the ground underneath the wood racks .

Never seen those in FL….glad you have them and we don’t

Ohhh, you got em, and due to your climate, you probably got a whole bunch of stuff we don't have

The longhorned wood boring beetles (Insecta: Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) are a diverse and economically important group of insects. With an estimated 4,000 genera and 35,000 described species, the Cerambycidae comprise one of the largest beetle families (Lawrence 1991). Cerambycid beetles are found on all continents except Antarctica, from sea level to montane sites as high as 4000 m (Monné & Bezark 2011). Nearly all are phytophagous or xylophagous as larvae, feeding within living, moribund, or decaying wood. Cerambycids are among the most serious wood boring pest species globally, affecting many agricultural crops, ornamental trees, and lumber products, and causing millions of dollars in damage each year (Solomon 1995).

.I'd just be REALLY careful before I put my hand on a split to fill the two plastic milk crates I use to get wood to my smoker.

If venomous snake bites are a possibility, probably worthwhile investing in gloves that are snake bite resistant and keep them handy to your wood pile.

Thanks everyone, a lot of fantastic recommendations and some more things to look out.

Attached is on old picture of my wood rack (it's now almost empty). I like the idea of raising it on some blocks. That will give me the option of putting some ground pesticides. But it doesn't sound like there's much for me to do.

I guess the answer is to cook more often so I can use the wood quicker!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3548.jpg
    IMG_3548.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I've been getting fairly mild bugs in my wood rack (spiders, pincher bugs), but I just recently finished up all the wood. I have a rare opportunity to make this rack be as bug resistant as possible. Essentially it is a rack made with 2x4s, about 6 feet wide by 4 feet tall. I'm considering putting down some cinder blocks and setting the rack on them. Maybe putting a layer of plastic under the cinder blocks to create a ground barrier?

I know there's no perfect solution, but wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations. I spent quite a bit of time killing off a lot of the buggers on my last cook. If there are somethings I can do before replenishing the wood in the rack, I'm happy to give it a try.

Thanks in advance!

Jason

You can try the diatomeas sand (make a bed behind the logs and some over it)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

It´s a kind of chrushed micro shells that kills all insects by contact.
It sticks to their articulations, scares and kill them.

It works for ants, spiders, cockroaches, worms,snails...

It´s not harmfull for humans or pets.

Back