Pellet Grills for Grilling

yoursangoma

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Brett
So my bro in law is looking to get a pellet smoker. I don't have one and have never used one. I know there's a lot of opinions on smoke profile, etc. But my question has to do with using them to grill hamburgers/hot dogs/steaks etc. How do they work for this? Can they get to a good temperature to cook these types of foods? Is there some brands that are above and beyond others, or are they all pretty close. I'm not sure his budget for this.

The Internet is filled with a lot of claims, but rarely a word about how hot your cooker really needs to get for searing and how hard it is for pellet grills to get you there. There is also little talk of the very real risk of grease fire. If you cook low and slow multiple times, forget to clean thoroughly, and then run your pellet grill up to 500°F or higher to sear your steaks, the chances are better than excellent that you will cause an inferno.

I’ve had yoder, Memphis elite (American made) and gmg Dave’s Crockett pellets cookers. Yoder grilled well with grill grates and the trap door open (look for atbbq videos with chef tom on YouTube). The Memphis elite got hotter as it could get above 700 degrees and you have direct flame access but it’s small. Gmg with grill grates sucked for grilling. None of the above hold a candle to grilling over lump charcoal, but you can turn our good food with them. And as already noted, you will have a grease fire if doing regular cooks and then go to do a high heat grill. Gotta keep ‘‘em cleaned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am very satisfied with grilling on my MAK. As gtsum mentioned, the sear is nothing compared to a pile of raging lump… but for everyday grilling I love it.

Still playing with the Ninja Woodfire, a hybrid pellet cooker. Did pretty good with burgers and pork chops. Haven't tried a ribeye yet...will one of these days.

Happy with my Recteq, I use grill grates or a griddle depending on quantity of dogs/burgers/sausages. Cleanup is re-foil the drip pan, and shop vac the burn pot every few cooks. 10 minutes on a slow day to clean it.

I grill steaks and burgers all the time on my Pit Boss pellets grills. They have a slider plate that opens up over the fire pot for searing. I hardly ever fire up a charcoal grill anymore.

I use my MAK one star to grill all the time and it works great with or without grillgrates

You might want to check out the Bullseye by RecTec. While I'm not a pellet guy at all, their Bullseye is dedicated grill which uses pellets for fuel. From all accounts it works well and they're claiming temp ranges of 200F-1000F, so it could definitely give a good sear.

The website says they're doing 15% off as well, so good timing if you're interested.

https://www.recteq.com/products/rt-b380-wood-pellet-grill

And the bullseye deluxe is 15% off until midnight tonight EST. I am tempted myself but not enough room right now.

I expected to use my MAK as a grill, but coming from a weber kettle-it couldn't have fallen further from that. Now I mostly use the griddle for things that I'd grill. Better temps, more even heat, better at handing grease.

Back