Pellet Cooker, pilot error

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Yesterday's cook and previous cooks were long. I failed to clean fire pot and, anyway end of yesterday's cook smoke was coming back thru hopper bin. Long story short , full clean and scrape, high speed wind throu and back of auger chute. Wind chill 14°
New pellets, chili.

Last edited:
I had that happen once when I tried going a cook or two without a clean fire pot. Never again. The Camp Chef fire pot's sliding trap door looks nice.

I had that happen once when I tried going a cook or two without a clean fire pot. Never again. The Camp Chef fire pot's sliding trap door looks nice.

I manage to bleed every cleaning with this PB

I love my Outlaw OL450 with the short auger, powerful motor, and ash clean out door. Easy to clean and very reliable.

I had similar on my Recteq RT1250. I was ignorant and not cleaning. Also the pellet hopper had a ton of dust from what I think was a bad bag of Bear Mountain pellets.

I looked and this is first time in 30 months that I've emptied the hopper and used my leaf blower (that'll take your feet off the ground) to take out dust. I don't shake pellets, if they're dusty I'll just toss the last 2-3 inches of bag. I e never done it since I've owned. Clean the cook chamber and fire pot consistent but missed this time. I stayed with it and when smoke started back out I'd push prime button. I was almost through with big cook so didn't want to start over.
Beef back ribs, beef short ribs, pork spares, twice smoked ham and turkey plus one turkey breast. One of biggest cooks I've done in a while

Last edited:
Weird.
I can go months without using my 16 year old Traeger and simply fire it up after having done absolutely nothing since the previous cook and it’s always fired up just fine.

Back