Peer Presssure overcame me! My UDS Build!

ROF Texas

Knows what a fatty is.
I could not longer sit back and enjoy the fruits of the Brethren labor. A UDS project was in the near future. My goal in this buils was somewhat different than others. I trusted my Breethren, and did not question the fact these units cook well, so I began gathering components to build a full feature UDS for longevity and function.
I first search auction sites and was fortunate to win the bid ($60.00) on a Weber Platinum that was new but scratch & dent, out of box, and some missing hardware. (Taddwholesale often has these). Perfect for my UDS build, this gave me a cart, 2 grates, lid, side tables and some misc. hardware. I traded a local UDS builder some unwanted parts from the Platinum purchase for an unlined food service drum and were off!
We spent a couple of hours at a local fab shop extending the wheel base of the Weber cart and welding the Platinum side tables to the drum. I aslo welded the 3 intake air pipes to the drum, along with a clean out in the bottom. We used the existing Weber SS charcoal grate, raised it 3" with SS bolts and added 12" tall x 15" diameter SS expanded metal to complete the charcoal basket. We placed the top rack 2" from top of drum, the second rack 9" from top of drum and a 3rd rack at 17" from top of drum (water pan or diff plate) I found an igrill on Ebay for $47.00 including the second probe, so I used this in Lieu of standard guages. This also allows me to monitor both cooking grates remotely (if it works properly???). I attached this to the drum with a hands free cell phone holder and it works great. I installed a watertight quad electrical box under the left work table. The left side of the drum is designated for the ique 110, ET 723 and rotis if wanted. There is also a probe bung located here. The right side table will be reserved for the wet "stuff". Once all was test built she got a propoer burning, cleaning, a shiny coat of hi-temp black paint and re-constructed. Tonight is the test cook and if all goes well Q for 25 goes on tomorrow night.
Sorry for the crappy pr0n!!

Attachments

• UDS14.jpg
    UDS14.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 222
  • UDSOOO.jpg
    UDSOOO.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 219
  • UDS7.jpg
    UDS7.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 219
  • UDS13.jpg
    UDS13.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 218
  • UDS11.jpg
    UDS11.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 221
  • UDS9.jpg
    UDS9.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 219
  • UDS8.jpg
    UDS8.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 217
  • UDS6.jpg
    UDS6.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 216
  • UDS5.jpg
    UDS5.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 219
  • UDS4.jpg
    UDS4.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 215
  • UDS1.jpg
    UDS1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 217
  • UDS3.jpg
    UDS3.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 217
  • UDS2.jpg
    UDS2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 218
Very nice build. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that drum sure looks lined to me. I see that you burned it out, did you wire wheel it also. If I'm mistaken, the tan is an epoxy product. Hopefully some one with first hand knowledge will chime in.

I called a buddy of mine that deals with material handling, and he said a drum with a tan liner has a "epoxy phenolic" liner and will off-gas at about 425*f. Better to be safe than sorry. I'd also go beat the snot out of the dude that sold you an "un-lined" drum.

Yes, the drum was both wire wheeled and high pressure water blasted after the burn. Although not visible, the interior of the drum now has a small amount of surface rust forming, thanks to coastal Texas humidity.
I appreciate the observation and comments!

I called a buddy of mine that deals with material handling, and he said a drum with a tan liner has a "epoxy phenolic" liner and will off-gas at about 425*f. Better to be safe than sorry. I'd also go beat the snot out of the dude that sold you an "un-lined" drum.
I concur. Same lining I had. Took a burn and a ton of wire wheel work to get that blasted thing out.

picture.php

Looks GREAT! But Dadgum,that's a lotta work.I know it gives you satisfaction knowing you made it.A fine job indeed.

Back