Pastrami on the Weber Kettle

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
John's (SirPorkaLot) recent pastrami thread has had me wanting to make pastrami (that, and the purchase of Corned Beef for St. Patrick's Day).

This was a small flat, only 2 lbs -

9V6OuWW.jpg

I normally don't bother soaking it in water, but decided to this time. Did it make a difference? Honestly, I couldn't tell. I made up my Pastrami rub, applied it yesterday evening and let it sit in the fridge overnight -

AE6yJSF.jpg

Since this is such a small flat, the Weber was called into duty. On around 10am today, temps averaging about 265F or so. I guess I forgot to take pics on the Weber, but after about 6 hours the internal temp reached about 180F.

At that point I wrapped it in foil to help steam it and opened the vents to get the grill temp up to 350-375. Finally, in that last hour being wrapped, the flat reached temps of 205. But it still didn't feel probe tender, so I finally pulled it at 212 or so.

8fidRdt.jpg

hBMkDB9.jpg

Finally, dinner is served with some cabbage and a side of carrots -

fgKJYCZ.jpg

Well worth the 7+ hours of waiting.

Now I wish I'd only bought a bigger corned beef as I have enough left for one sandwich. I do have another in the freezer, but only slightly larger. Time to check the market this week for any leftover St Patrick's Day briskets.

Thanks for checking out this post.

Regards,
-lunchman

Looks and sounds amazing Dom I did one yesterday on my Egg Temps got away from me- think it was do not being on a flat surface My was done in about 4 hrs- 192 Very good flavor- very peppery Slightly tough will need to slice thin Agree was worth it. It looked great in the package but when opened it was 2 fairly thin flats That was disappointing but it was good

Looks and sounds amazing Dom I did one yesterday on my Egg Temps got away from me- think it was do not being on a flat surface My was done in about 4 hrs- 192 Very good flavor- very peppery Slightly tough will need to slice thin Agree was worth it. It looked great in the package but when opened it was 2 fairly thin flats That was disappointing but it was good

Thanks George.

I was expecting mine to be done in about 4 hours, was surprised it took 7. And not being probe tender with the Thermapen at an internal temp of 205 was even more of a surprise. I guess that's why you never judge doneness by internal temperatures and go by feel.

That looks great. Pkg says thin sliced .... was it sliced all the way through or how did you hold it together ?

Not sliced. I think the "thin cut" sticker is referring to the fact that this is the flat. There were packages of brisket point in the case from the same vendor.

Last edited:
I'd like to try that but, It's sure hard to find descent Rye bread around here...

I had the same problem here. No rye bread in the bakery department, so I decided to get Pepperidge Farm pumpernickel from the bread aisle. I did have thoughts of making my own, but have never attempted rye. Someday....

Back