Overdue. First trip to Santa Maria Elk's Club.

SoCalWJS

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
John
I've wanted to go to the Santa Maria Elk's Club for a long time. One of my friend's who is a member invited my wife and me for a "Cook your own steak" event that they have on some Fridays. We got ther a bit after 6 and it was an absolute Zoo. Lines for everything. You purchase a ticket for what you want - that was about 10 minutes. Lines to get drinks.
Then you get in line to choose your steak. We both got 12 oz ribeye. That took 20 minutes or so
Then you wander to the building where the SM pit is. Wow! Thing is huge. Packed wall to wall with people. Wiggle through together access to the grill. BLAZING HOT! I took an infrared to see how hot, but it only read 750 or so. I would have guessed even hotter. Too hot and too crowded to monitor properly without gloves. Cooked way fast with the thin steaks. I was responsible for cooking 3 steaks. No time or freedom to take pictures.
Went back later and took a few after they shut down.
f219bdb244e684231ae0afb005a3ff2f.jpg
c3cb8b4e706c6abeadbb060597aa4b3a.jpg
cfcc52a91f9104493a133b83262fd4f4.jpg

I was later told there were over 750 people there (apparently the norm on nights when there is a band).

Loved the flavor of the steak, even if slightly overcooked under less than ideal circumstances. After you cook the steak, you then wait in another line to get your sides. This was another 15+ minutes. We stacked the steaks on one plate and turned another upside down to try to keep them war m - only slightly successful - they weren’t completely cold. The sides were EXCELLENT if simple. Got garlic bread, pinquito beans and a salad with some salsa. Every one of those was delicious.

Gotta try again some time when not so crowded. The band was fun so we danced for an hour or so. Cheap drinks.

Gonna cook my own ribeye at home tonight, but I’m gonna try to get higher temps than I normally do and see how it goes.
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Wow that's too crowded for me! But I'd do the same - look for a time when there's less people. I just joined the Elks last week, so I'll have to check that place out if I'm ever up that way.

Nice write up John! It would be great to go back on a night when it's not so busy. I do miss parts of CA, particularly the SLO region.

Here's a recent post I did on cooking steaks at high temps you might find useful:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299034

Yeah, the steak I had there was around 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick whereas tonights is closer to 1&3/4” (at least), so I’m probably not doing the “flippity flip flip” on the Santa Maria pit. Closer to what they do at Jocko’s instead. We’ll see. About time to start the pit.

LOVE the Central Coast and I’ll stay until they “Force” me out (it gets sillier & sillier all the time…..)

How do you like it there? One of the places I keep an eye on is the the hills outside of Knoxville, but it’s getting pretty pricey for housing there too.

Miss the SoCal Brethren GTG’s….

Wow that's too crowded for me! But I'd do the same - look for a time when there's less people. I just joined the Elks last week, so I'll have to check that place out if I'm ever up that way.

It was definitely more crowded than I’d like, but they are set up for it. I’ve seen a whole bunch of videos about this place, and the OG Cooks there just laugh about restaurants bragging about how much meat they cook. These guys cook TONS of meat just about every week. They host so many fund raisers and also have been very active in prepping food during the COVID restriction period - they have dozens/hundreds of cars lined up for picking up the food they’ve prepared each day (no clue what they do for those. City/County & Private donations fund the meals for those in need when things shut down and so many lost their jobs)

I’d love to figure out a way to just hang out with a couple of the Old Timers and do whatever leg work they need just to gain some wisdom & insight that they have picked up.

Tonight’s dinner. Costco Prime. Just over 1&3/4 inches.

19e67e32a82216ed2146d481b28ab736.jpg

Planning on the SM pit with Jocko’s seasoning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boy, do I need to learn my way around Tapatalk and an iPad…..

Failing miserably…….
Took pictures, but they don’t want to show up. Grrrrrrrrr…..

I belonged to the Waterloo IA Elks (one of the more majestic buildings) for years. What a grand place to be a dude! Stag bar, billiards room, dining area, private bar area.
The public could eat in the dining area, but the upstairs was members only.
Monthly Stag nights with 3 or 4 Blackjack tables (real betting), couple of poker tables, and a members dinner cooked by pro staffers. Monthly Stag golf, blow off work a half a day and make it home quit late. A glorious place, with good folk.
There is a Elks here in Grinnell, haven't been yet.
Ed

Is that an antique pan you've got there? :wink:

:becky:

Yeah, we’ve had that a long time. Gotten a lot of use out of it, mostly for things like this - seasoning of steaks so the rub doesn’t end up all over the place.

Thanks for the write up How did yous turn out My father was an Elk

My Ribeye turned out “OK”. Wife was much happier than I was, but I aim pretty high.

Tapatalk still won’t recognize the other pictures I took, so I can’t share them.

:confused:

Finally got Tapatalk to recognize more photos (Reboot!)

Getting happy,
c20b769d133f51be7145a8f93773eaf4.jpg

Plated. Split the steak and a potato. Salad was beforehand.
34004edb6c62cd8bcc06b9791a10aefa.jpg

Back