OK Joe Highlander break-in...Can You Say Oyster??

dcimike125

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Mike
As previously posted, I have a new smoker. My new OK Joe Highland offset (Black Throated Wind) joins my Pit Barrel Cooker (Chesty Puller) ands my Weber Kettle One Touch (Althea).

So, I decided that to break in Black Throated Wind, I would do something for my wife. I am allergic to seafood - deathly, but I wanted the first something to be for the "Purchaser" of the offset. Since it is my anniversary, I stopped at an old friend of my parents,

1a.jpg

Copps Island Oysters.

Well that stop for a "few" oysters turned into a feast. I can't eat oysters, and Jen is only good for 3 or 4. I called the neighbors to help out. They did not fail us and became an impromptu block party. I smoked 26 oysters on Black Throated Wind…
2a.jpg

And used the firebox warming top to melt some butter

3a.jpg

A little while later and with the help of my daughter and the broiler, we had Oysters Rockefeller…

4a.jpg

(Pic is BEFORE the broiler)

Then I threw on some lobster tails…

5a.jpg

And (Sorry, No Pics) salmon. I also fired up Althea for a few butchers choice NY strip steaks. That with farmers market veggies, bread and cheese plus a few bottles of bubble (and Miller High Life) turned the night into a lot of fun

This is the aftermath that I woke up to and cleaned up before the BOSS even got out of bed …
6a.jpg

Now for the writeup...
I started with seasoned oak and added some mesquite chips for a strong smoke flavor.

Lessons learned from the 1st time smoking oysters-
The oysters only "pop" slightly. Put some foil on the bottom of the cook chamber. By starting with a "clean canvas" the foil will show a spill and that means they are done. I might have over smoked them because I was waiting for them to pop open like a clam. You still need an clam knife when they are done.

Once I took them off, I had to shuck them, then drizzled some melted butter (refer to pic of butter melting). I sprinkled bacon done on Althea (the Weber Kettle) minced and mixed with finely chopped fresh parsley. Then I added equal parts panko bread crumbs and freshly grated Parmesan cheese and put it back into BTW til the cheese melted.

Serve and sit back and listen to the complements. All in all we had a great time, my wife was happy and if she is, I am

The Recipe (from Char Broil):

SMOKED OYSTER ROCKEFELLER RECIPE
INGREDIENTS:

1 dozen oysters
4 strips bacon
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
3 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
3 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Special equipment: BEER

INSTRUCTIONS:

Prepare your gas grill for indirect heat. Make a pouch with aluminum foil and place wood chips inside. Poke some holes and toss into the hottest part of the grill. Allow the grill to get all good and smoky.
Arrange the oysters on a transferable grill pan. Soak a sheet of burlap in water. When the grill is hot and smoke is billowing off of the wood chip packet, place the grill rack over low heat. Cover with the burlap bag and allow to cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Carefully remove the bag and allow the oysters to cook. Remove as needed as they spring open, checking every few minutes.
Allow the oysters to cool until safe to handle. Using a butter-knife or proper oyster shucking tool, pop the oysters open by inserting and giving a little twist. Separate the shells, leaving the meat of the oyster in half of the shell.
Cook the bacon in a skillet until crispy. Cool on a paper towel lined plate. When cool, mince.
Combine the chopped parsley and cooked bacon in small bowl. Arrange the oysters back on the transportable grill rack. Sprinkle each with the bacon parsley mix. Pour the butter evenly into each shell. Top with the panko and Parmesan cheese.
Place the rack back on the grill, or under a broiler, and cook until toasted.

At sixty cents an oyster, I can’t wait to do this again... This really is low stress and a crowd pleaser for seafood lovers

Back