No Bake Mac n Cheese

kgrigio

Knows what a fatty is.
I make a mean baked mac n cheese, but it's a bit involved and I am looking for something quick for different occasions. We have a local smoking restaurant that puts out some good que and they serve a really good creamy mac n cheese where they put a cheese cream sauce on the already cooked noodles as you order your dinner. I have tried different versions of a cream sauce and I just can't get it to not be clumpy and separate. What is the trick and does someone have a recipe they would like to share?

Amazing! I looked at a few videos on sodium citrate use in mac n cheese and I just ordered some and can't wait to try. Thanks!

My favorite from Serious Eats

The Food Lab's Ultra-Gooey Stovetop Mac and Cheese Recipe

Serves:
4 to 6 servings

Ingredients
  • 1 pound elbow macaroni
  • Kosher salt
  • One 12-ounce can evaporated milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon Frank’s RedHot or other hot sauce
  • 1 teaspoon ground mustard
  • 1 pound extra-sharp cheddar, grated (see note)
  • 8 ounces American cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (see note)
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 4 chunks

Directions
Place the macaroni in a large saucepan and cover it with salted water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally to keep the pasta from sticking. Cover the pan, remove from the heat, and let stand until the pasta is barely al dente, about 8 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk together the evaporated milk, eggs, hot sauce, and mustard in a bowl until homogeneous. Toss the cheeses with the cornstarch in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.

When the pasta is cooked, drain it and return it to the saucepan. Place over low heat, add the butter, and stir until melted. Add the milk mixture and cheese mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the cheese is completely melted and the mixture is hot and creamy. Season to taste with salt and more hot sauce. Serve immediately, topping with toasted bread crumbs if desired.

Notes
Use a good melting cheese or combination thereof, like American, cheddar, Jack, Fontina, young Swiss, Gruyere, Muenster, young provolone, and/or young Gouda. To reheat the pasta, add a few tablespoons of milk to the pan and cook, stirring gently, over medium-low heat until hot.

Basic roux, add some milk, grated sharp, some blue cheese, some laughing cow original, some parm, and some season all. Cook till thick, add pasta at the end. Throw in some bacon and hot saucr on the side

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Back