THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

seattlepitboss

is one Smokin' Farker
I'm in Michoacan, which is a state in Mexico. Last night there was a large party and they cooked an enormous slab of beef ribs, butchered to leave a generous 2-3" of rib roast attached. I know I should post a picture, but I can't make my FTP app work. So I will try to describe the setup as best I can verbally.

They stuck a piece of 1/2" square steel bar into the ground. There are two crossbars each with a pinchbolt for adjusting up or down the vertical square bar. Each crossbar has 2 hooks, one at each end. The meat was hung from the hooks. Like you-know-who on the cross except two crossbars instead of one. The bottom of the roast was 4-6" off the ground. They built a small-medium log fire in front of the meat. The membrane side of the ribs was towards the fire.

So the setup is: fire on the ground, meat hung vertically right next to it. They told us it would take about 4 hours to cook but I think it took longer.

I had never seen this method of cooking. Obviously the tough membranes got more heat for more time, and thus had a chance to get tender. And it must have all cooked because this morning nothing was left but a big pile of dino bones.

Thoughts? Comments?

seattlepitboss

I have seen similar except more of a tri-pod and it leaned towards the fire and could be moved closer or away from the fire.

Any cooking with fire is good in my book!

Something similar to this set-up? I've seen photo's of fish smoke-cooked this way more than lamb or beef

Photo-Oct-11-2-19-00-AM.jpg

Back