THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fudally

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Don
I want to start off by saying how much I enjoy this site, there is so much great information in here. With that said I am looking for some help I am starting the process of locating a 55gal drum to build my first UDS. I currently use a horizontal smoker and fire box. With that set up I mop the large cuts of meat on a regular basis to add extra flavor and additional moisture. With the UDS I understand opening the lid repeatedly makes the temp near impossible to maintain. So when you put a Boston butt or a brisket in the UDS do I have to do something to the meat prior to cooking such as injecting it or is that the true benefit of a UDS, flavor with wood and your spice rub alone. I have never read anyone talk about mopping the meat while cooking. I am looking for some sound advice to make sure I am prepared to use my UDS properly. Thanks for your help

Don

I leave the butts alone and the lid stays shut until i pull it off. Additional flavor i make up a good finishing sauce to mix in the pull and to add on sammies.

When I do ribs I sometimes spritz them with apple juice every half hour or so, but lately I haven't been doing this and my product has still been moist and tasty. I also rarely inject meats as I don't see the need.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about constant mopping of meats when cooking in a UDS, its a pretty moist environment when loaded up with meat. Just start cookin on one and you'll get a feel for it.

The last thing you wanna do is keep opening the lid- if yer lookin ya aint cookin!

A good running uds will recover really quick from opening the lid. Mine will level back to running temp in only a couple of minutes The few times i spritzed anything I shot it through the top vent hole or barely cracked the lid and sprayed Usually i only spritz poultry to get a good color on the skin, butts and brisket are left in the drum til done, no need to spritz those guys.

I used an offset before before my UDS... I like both smokers but I must say I love my UDS... The thing maintains a constant temp with ease.. In my offset if you opened the lid, temp spikes were crazy and were hard to get under control... Now my UDS I open the lid whenever I would want to and like Blythewood said the thing barely has a temp spike and it recovers within minutes... As far as the mopping or injecting, that's a personal preference... I'm not one that mops ever besides maybe in the last 30 min I'll mop some sauce if anything... I prefer to rub and inject... I inject the large cuts and they come out so juicy it will run off of your fingers

JM3C Mopping is over rated and adds nothing except to extend the cooking time. If your lookin you aint cookin. Keep the pit closed.

I close all the intakes about 4-5 minutes before I remove lid, open intakes after reinstalling the lid seems to help keep the temps spike to a minimum.

If you want to mop/spray, then do it. If you don't want to mop/spray, then don't. Try once doing it and once without and see what you think of the results. If you are cooking to make great food for the family, the UDS is the way to go. Let them taste the results and go from there.

I used to wrap in foil with all of the tricks, i used to spritz but no more i cook mine with a rub and thats it, but if you want to mop or spritz go for it! :becky:

Back