New guy with questions

Good luck PuJo. Be safe and get home to get burning stuff.

BTW, if that hitch is military related, Thanks for your service...

BTW, if that hitch is military related, Thanks for your service...

I appreciate your appreciation however it's not military related.
I work on an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico.

But don't thank me, I see crude prices on the rise!!

-PuJo

I tried it once, and it turned out like creosote. Guess I used too much.

I really had a hard time getting the temp to 250, then once it got there I couldn't hold it. I didn't want to use too much wood then the temp would be out of control on the high side.

I am burning 5 year old split pecan from my farm.
Is there such a thing as wood being too dry?

-Pujo

Yes there is such a thing as to dry of wood. When the wood is too dry it will not burn properly and uneven.

Also i would recommend when putting a new log on the fire, leave the door open for a bit for two reasons.

1. To help the log catch faster and allow you to keep your heat in the same area.

2. To help with the over smoke. If you have the door open the smoke will always take the easier path out.

You have to remember that the air coming in to the smoker is just as important as the air you let leave the smoker too. If you have a damper control make sure you play with that too, as that allows you to have more control over the temp in the smoker.

As I'm sure it is with everyone I'm sure you will get it with time. its all about learning your smoker.

I also agree that getting Aaron's book is one of the best investments you can make. He will teach you a lot just inside that one book. Have fun

The author is Aaron Franklin and it's called "A Meat Smoking Manifesto" They have it on Amazon.

They also have it in the iTunes store. Interesting read, and I am still in chapter one...

Had an Ok Joe similar to your smoker. I got to where I pointed a fan at the fire box through the intakes. Clean burning fire as a result. Just less wood each add...more often.

Back