New England Fish Chowder

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
I'm not making any New England themed dishes for Super Bowl Sunday (I could not find GOAT in my local market for some odd reason). :becky:

However, since it was a cold day here today (though not midwest cold), it was time to make something heart and belly warming. Chowder (or Chowdah as it's known here).

This started out as a simple New England Clam Chowder, then morphed into New England Fish Chowder as I went through the market today. Doesn't matter, they're both good. I sometimes "follow" a recipe, but it's more along the lines of "refer to one to make sure I don't forget anything".

So, along with the clams are "fish for chowder" (that's how it's labelled at the fish counter) and bay scallops.

It turns out I didn't even need the Bar Harbor clam juice, I just went with the water used when steaming the clams (strained to ensure there was no sand, etc.).

Sorry, none of this was done on any of the grills, strictly an indoor cook today. Normally I'd start off with cooking up some bacon, but decided Pancetta would do nicely. Starting to brown in the stockpot -

I missed taking a whole bunch of pictures between this one and the next picture, but the steps involve setting aside the Pancetta once browned, then sauteing diced onion and diced celery. Steam the clams until they open, add the strained clam water to the stockpot. Add Bay Leaf, Thyme, Pepper. Add the potatoes, simmer til they're tender. Smash a few along the side of the pot to help thicken the broth.

Add in the chopped clams, the fish which has been cut into small pieces and at the very end, the scallops. Resulting in -

Let it simmer for a while, then slowly stir in Half and Half til the consistency looks correct -

Ladle into a bowl and dig in!

Add some Westminster Soup Crackers (which are now for some reason made in Vermont rather than in nearby Westminster MA) -

And that's it. lunchman's take on New England Fish Chowder. Is it authentic? Nope, but it only has to taste good to me and the Mrs. :razz: and met my expectations.

And oh yeah, GO PATS!

-lunchman

Great tutorial and photos. That'd sure warm my bones even down here in the mid-atlantic.

Looks delicious!

I love fresh New England seafood and chowder. Yours looks superb!! What time is “suppah”?

What? you don't like sand in your chowder? You sure your from mass.? lol

What? you don't like sand in your chowder? You sure your from mass.? lol

Actually, having transplanted here from New York after college still means I'll never be a real New Englander, even after 40+ years. :crazy: Good thing my wife is though (and has the accent to prove it).

At least I don't make my chowder Manhattan style. :biggrin1:

Back