Need Help on my New Vault Cabinet Smoker

Today's results were better!

Put more wood than I did on previous cooks.

And, controlled heat by:

1.) Keeping water in the waterpan
2.) Controlling heat largely by the amount of fuel in the cooker, so I never had to turn the valve more than 45 degrees (so 50% open)

Results:
> More of a smoke ring
> Better smoke flavor (though not awesome, yet)

I've learned a lot from the comments. Can't wait to implement

pMuy3lkl32VQ7xqpAXLpEIVKM_2zbS2839NKCdmjfSug-Yj5MC2wSZIhZLVOEqwaOTIhQBHbqiMZcFZ42HRVQQUy9_BvWuxVURsRPU3VGz1f8GRPpVCQFdyisA9hnKid2u6nFvyEYDRPv7BM4fyd6YBnk9ZTLf7ZEbn-KUjtiZsw_gGtj80rRZfNtVaciYlxhWNMZjcEkmjqeJB2PygUrzKxz8L_hRsII814B_c84o7LniYlUgXcY5fa80wRTdu2fP_FySQCgbZvhukpqe8BEFq4OnLyV1-y-wEpBMu9UyYYP7V6UXsVN_f0gGeVMaQ0zhw4oufIJIYc-ZwfQU12ZznnFNquDYN3uP4Jhfld1z6tTF8scgusOhUdNfpPOKaQeigkKKa2q8df_-8XVctZKTyC9GvmqGeuVFR0m3Is0eUktNgFLChCQTuIGtSXh7auwU37XXCdxO_Dq1oixGLD_OS5s3ZFIHcxlL-fcpNvs_HB6TioLTTRXeQBtQamQSxPMTn8mPYyq9Yxu6NU-SzQJ7sodDOPjKD4ye4wctVD_tJXx61oTCVx-Rzsr993-9CkCoZTqB_XY3NLRPGfvCPG7i53sVzPjgcPEYMlZW2hjQM=w1298-h973-no

No trouble here.... That is if a minus sign inside of a circle is what I should be seeing... :mrgreen:

After struggling with my Safe for a while I learned a few things:

- Double the amount of wood
- Mine is happiest running 265-300 range
- There is formula for preheating but you have to find it. I turn my torch on to about medium and do 45 secs/side and then 45 secs for back/shelf. It seems to preheat to 225 almost every time. I suspect yours will take longer since it's bigger.
- I add 30 pre-lit coals to a small number of unlit coals. For example 30 pre-lit added to 10 unlit will get my Safe up to temp and keep it there for 6 hours. When it comes to unlit coals, less is more.

Am I the only one that can't see any of Paul's pictures?

Hmmm...I'll try a different way. These I put on my Google Photo's, then copied the URL and pasted it in the "Insert Picture" box.

Let me go to the instructions on here and see if something's changed.

I paid a subscription to the Breathren so I could have a signature and could upload photos in an album here, but now it's giving me an error.

Maybe I'll upload photos to a non-google site and see if the links work from there?

Pit is still not, now 3rd day in a row.

Pair of Pork Butts sitting on it now.

No water in the pan.
Small batch of hot coals in there, temps are steady at 250.

It needs a good bit less fuel to keep temp with no water in it (obviously).

Tomorrow morning...Breakfast Pulled Pork!

Started my cabinet smoker with 1/2 chimney (Weber) of KBB at 5:30pm. Put the ABT's on at 6 and things were chumming along at 250* by 6:15. Tossed on some hotlinks at 6:30 and pit was up to about 285* - pretty much stayed there until everything was done at 7:15. The only additional "fuel" was four small hickory wood chunks - added one at a time as each piece quit smoking.

Final clean-up at 8:00pm and the pit was sitting at 325* and very few coals to speak of. By 9:30 it had dropped all the way to 275*. All dampers were left wide open the entire cook. Pretty incredible for 1/2 chimney of charcoal. :thumb:

Started my cabinet smoker with 1/2 chimney (Weber) of KBB at 5:30pm. Put the ABT's on at 6 and things were chumming along at 250* by 6:15. Tossed on some hotlinks at 6:30 and pit was up to about 285* - pretty much stayed there until everything was done at 7:15. The only additional "fuel" was four small hickory wood chunks - added one at a time as each piece quit smoking.

Final clean-up at 8:00pm and the pit was sitting at 325* and very few coals to speak of. By 9:30 it had dropped all the way to 275*. All dampers were left wide open the entire cook. Pretty incredible for 1/2 chimney of charcoal. :thumb:

What kind of cooker is this? How big of an insulated cabinet?

If I put a 1/2 to 2/3 lit chimney of coals in there, vents wide open, it's nearly 3 hours to get it up to 250 in the vault?

New poster here with a new cooker myself. Backwoods Fatboy G2 that I started up for the first time last weekend.
Unit used what I guess was 4-5 lbs of lump, loaded in the basket towards the rear. I lit with a torch and installed the guru. Within 45 minutes I was passed 250 and on my way to 325 to wich I cooked at for a few hours. I added no additional lump and no water for the chicken cook.
After the chickens were done I had limited charcoal left and cooled the cabinet to run some jerky at 170.
All in all not bad for my first cook and first ever experience with a vault smoker. Now that I have this cooker I myself will be utilizing this forum to learn and. Gain some knowledge from the folks here.
I am sure there is something going on with your setup. Good luck.

I will add , I opened all non guru cents wide open to get the temp up, then choked off the lower vent, followed by the top towards the desired temp.

What kind of cooker is this? How big of an insulated cabinet?

If I put a 1/2 to 2/3 lit chimney of coals in there, vents wide open, it's nearly 3 hours to get it up to 250 in the vault?

R & O FatGirl (as posted in the for sale section) - four shelves and likely comparable to your pit in many ways.

To be fair - it was 95* outside when I started and I've learned to crack the firebox door open 1/2 inch or so to really feed the fire some O2. I could have had it up to 250* in ten minutes but didn't want to break out the weed burner for pre-heating.

Back