Need advice on a smoker/bbq pit purchase.

MrOGH

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
Oswaldo
Background:
I currently own 3 Weber grills; A 22.5 inch (aka the neglected one), a 26, and a WSM 18.5 inch.
My biggest regret is buying the 18.5 and not the 22.5WSM, but it has served me well for 6-7 years.
I grill 2-3 times a week for the wife, 2 toddlers and me.
I have access to all the mesquite I can cut and bring home from my FILs 750 acres.
I told my wife I wants a new grill, she asked how long they last and how much they cost. I told her for 10 years to forever. From a couple hundred to 2-3K. She said “10 years is too damn long to be hearing you complain about how you should have gotten a better one. Get a good one.”
I guess my budget is 2K flexible.m

I live in Deep South Texas. 1/4 mile from the Rio Grande River. Yes, I occasionally hear the fire fights from Mexico.

The plan:
I’ve contemplated an offset smoker grill, and Big joe. I would rather purchase from Texas, south of the Houston area. LSG is as far North as I would go to pick up, as I Have a Friend who lives in Houston area I haven’t visited in a while. Good exhaust to go drink with him.

Reverse sear is my go to cooking “technique”

P.S. I’m currently quarantined pending results which should come in Monday or Tuesday as I was exposed to a + case. I have a crapload of time to drink beer and stay at home reading.

The KJ and offset are completely different beasts. With two youngins do you think you will have time to tend to an offset? I don't have kids and I thought it wouldn't be an issue when I bought a stick burner. I haven't used it nearly as much as I wanted due to the time you have to give it.

The KJ and offset are completely different beasts. With two youngins do you think you will have time to tend to an offset? I don't have kids and I thought it wouldn't be an issue when I bought a stick burner. I haven't used it nearly as much as I wanted due to the time you have to give it.

I’ve thought about this, and figured the set and forget would be done in my WSM. I usually only smoke once ever 2 weeks. I grill 2-3 times a week.

I am not an expert and have somewhat limited experience. BUT given your preferred style I would seriously consider the LSG 24 x 48 Adjustable Grill/Smoker. You can set it up for indirect, low and slow. Then pop the grate up and move the meat over for direct sear. It is pretty unique capabilities.

I should add, it can burn sticks or charcoal.

Last edited:
You might check out the Shirley 24x36 patio model. Not located in Texas but they are building lots of cookers delivered to Texas.

Last edited:
I am not an expert and have somewhat limited experience. BUT given your preferred style I would seriously consider the LSG 24 x 48 Adjustable Grill/Smoker. You can set it up for indirect, low and slow. Then pop the grate up and move the meat over for direct sear. It is pretty unique capabilities.

I should add, it can burn sticks or charcoal.

Two grills from LSG they really look nice are the 24X36, and the 24 cabinet smoker. The one that is wider than longer

Both are offset smokers so don't led themselves to your preference. Or at least to the best of my understanding. The reading I did indicated that the top opening over the fire box doesn't work perfectly because you would have to ramp your fire up a lot to do the sear. You said you grill 2-3/wk and only smoke every other week.

Don't get me wrong. I started considering an offset. After some reading I decided that wasn't the best choice for my needs. Either way, good luck with the choice.

The KJ is going to be similar to your Weber kettles.

Buy once cry once. Look to see what you can find second hand. Especially with you being in Texas. You can find a real nice pit for 2-3 grand. Especially a lightly used one.

I've done a few different 18 hour round trips to pick up smokers. The 2nd time was more about hitting the open road and doing something different. It's easy to find yourself being a robot and doing the same thing over and over again day in and day out. Don't look at the trip as a hassle. Enjoy the downtime and grab a great pit you want. Don't let the distance be too much of a deciding factor. 10 years down the road you won't say, "Man I wish I didn't drive so far for this awesome pit".

Any review on Matt’s? They are probably half the distance than lone star grillz.

A few guys got pits from Him a cpl years Ago. They were Pretty Happy with Them - No quite the fit n Finish of LSG but Pretty Good, Cheaper and Closer :thumb: He also did some custom fab work/ mods for One of the fellars - on an existing model.

http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223643

Weather delayed pickup but my modified reverse flow chicken cooker pit by Matt is done and will be picked up Wednesday :)

Larry
View attachment 152522
View attachment 152523
View attachment 152524
View attachment 152525

Last edited:
If you are going to gripe about something with the KJ, it would probably be space. A kamado is a nice cooker. You can cook a lot on it ultimately but you can do a lot more food on an LSG. Plus you can cook slow on one end, and move to the other end for a sear. I am only guessing that as long as you dont crack the KJ, it will outlast the metal. IMnotalwaysHO, your best purchase for versatility would be the LSG.

I hope you buy something made in Texas and support our state. I’m in DFW and only considered something made in Texas.

Right now, I’m waiting on a Lone Star Grillz 20x36 smoker. They are pretty versatile. You can also grill in a smoker.

And the fire box can be used for pizza!

A Shirley might be nice, but they aren’t made here, and shipping just ain’t free. Why not use that cost difference to add on some upgrades to something made in Texas?

Have you considered the Weber Summit Charcoal? Since you like Weber kettles, this might fit the bill. There are a few posts about it here, and look up Baby Back Maniac's reviews of it on youtube. After much research, it's the one I am getting (If I can ever catch it on sale..)

Back