My first Q trailer build.

waywardtravel

Knows what a fatty is.
I posted a build thread before but in the wrong section after seeing all the cool builds here. I'm from Washington but lived all over the states with work and foreign for that matter. I picked a Pitmaker by being very lucky meeting the right person the very night I was talking to the Texas Mrs, about building a smoker. The fire has been stoked ever since.
20160719_141415_zpsklmnkntx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I planed beef jerky and of course briskets and butts maybe doing some company catering.
So after moving the Pitmaker a few times for smoking I decided to build a trailer for it. Now that's where things got out of hand. The two casters were frozen so dragging it around was difficult. I replaced them with 2 3500lb axles. The good news is carting the cabinet will be easy now.

20160705_152438_resized_zpsvyyt0itf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I plan to build a small BBQ rig with some easy stuff like fajita's, burgers and steak also. I want to make it on Butts, and Briskets and maybe chicken but have my doubts with the demographics.

I am currently using imported woods and charcoals usually lump. Supply is low most often.

I need to build something like a Santa Maria for direct cooking, A deep fryer (Probably purchased) most likely for fries, fish, or shrimp, Another insulated vertical I believe unless I can source wood before I start, and a large holding device of some type for sides.

I really want this to be extremely versatile in case that's needed.

When you see me asking dumb questions now you know why.
Always looking for ideas and tips.

I've somewhat run on board galleys with design, construction, and provisioning but using the chefs or cooks for real input on equipment, layout, and provisioning. A team I guess that I managed. That was 5 star mega yachts and a handful of 40 person commercial ships.

So basically I'm drifting into uncharted territory and it's a blast.

Last edited:
Is that what you call small?:biggrin1: good luck with the build.

That's a KIA with a ram body or an illusion.
It's 30 1/2ft with including long V nose for tanks and generator. When I started on paper with layout it just kept growing. Then I added 2ft to the back.

Last edited:
Brisket looks very nice!

Good luck with your new venture and keep us posted on your progress!

That's going to be a full on catering rig, careful with trying to build too much cooking power in, and not allowing enough storage, cold storage and operational space.

Thanks I'm spending countless hours looking at photo's and reading what I can. I did go for an unusally large deck to enclosed ratio. 50/50 basically. That leaves about 11ft by 7 1/2 interior but 8ft ceiling for some overhead storage racks. I'm thinking the overhead will be for breads, plastic utinsils, and the lighter stuff.
I'm currently thinking 2 chest freezers along the non service wall. One as a fridge. that leaves a fair room for utility table.

Trip sink and hand wash forward with some equipment below. Overhead cabinets above I think.

Serving side will hopefully have a sandwich prep type of counter and the service counter with a cash register somewhere in there.

Back deck will have all mentioned cook and warmer as well as hand wash and wash down hose.

The interior does get tight I've noticed and am not set in stone at the split. Every time I draw it out it changes. lol. I am framed for another 2 or so ft interior which is either a grab rail for the entrance step or the extended interior wall. No forward door at this point.

EDIT: If I don't build my own freezer I plan to make one or both of the chests into a stainless table as well. With a prep station I'm hoping to not need into the freezer very often or I might find coolers are enough for my regular stuff.

Jerky is a big hobby of mine and I do want a bigger rack space cooker for that. In reality I could build a jerky machine for the house.
I need to pencil more with my current thoughts.

Another point. At my semi secured lunch spot I have a shop 500ft away. I can store and provision from there. In reality I could cook there with a smaller trailer or fixed unit if needed. I already have chest freezers and 1 fridge there now which could expand much easier than the trailer. The health dept is always grey but almost everything legit allowed eventually. Except for earings or something I would think is small compared to cockroaches everywhere or no soap in the kitchen and that kind of thing. Every once in a while your taxed for something. Same as driving a car here. Good news is it's cheaper.

Last edited:
Back