My first brisket - ever.

Say what?

Next time you gotta get a packer and make some burnt ends out of the point.
At this point, I have no idea what the term 'burnt ends' means. I guess I'll have to do some research on that term. Sounds like something that should be thrown away. :pound:

Last edited:
Outstanding job. My first brisket cook was my best and I did a lot of research beforehand on what to do. Unfortunately I did not write down what process I did and what I did to prepare it. I cooked mine on a WSM and cooked a full packer.

I do remember that I injected with beef broth and let it rest in a cooler, wrapped in towels for several hours but I don't remember what rubs I used on it or the temp I cooked it at or what the temp was when I pulled it. I did not wrap during the cook.

It did have great flavor and was very moist. All of mine since then have not been as good IMO. I can't wait to see your next one.

You sir are perfectionist. That is a perfectly sliced piece of meat.

Not sure where you are at from your signature but I think you will enjoy cooking a full packer. People want to make burnt ends from the point because they will not seperte it when it is done and continue to cook the flat. IMHO the point is the best.

you can make burnt ends out of anything (and they are good) jut add seasoning, sauce , and cook some more.

First cook or one of many - you did a great job!

Flat vs Packer

I'm not very experienced with my pellet smoker yet. I just cooked my first flat and it worked pretty good.

However, I'm thinking I don't know how to pick out a flat by itself. I only think I know how to pick out a brisket. It should be the most flexible when placing a hand edgewise in the middle. Am I right?

How do I select a flat?

Last edited:
Back