Contest Announcment Mount Airy’s Smoke’n BBQ Showdown - MD

It was a great event, but the health department thing is a crock of chit. We were getting ready to cut our ribs for turn in, and the HD guy shows up pestering us to check food temperatures. We were a little more than annoyed. The HD guy then cops an attitude with us because we were annoyed. He stuck his thermometer in our brisket and left. BTW, did anyone see the HD guys sterilize thier thermometer between teams? I sure didn't.

I am positive they had no idea what is involved in competition BBQ. It is my understanding that judges are considered "volunteers" and are not considered "the public." Being a judge myself, I understand any risk involved with food preparation, and I accept that risk. IMO, the HD had no right checking the teams and should have kept themselves busy with the vendors.

So what were they checking for to see that it was above 140?
I mean it can cool down in the time it takes me to build a box?

I know i have to take the servsafe class but how long can it stay below 140 before you have to toss it?

Overall I enjoyed this contest, but the Health Dept was a big, ill timed pain. For us it was 11:56 when they showed up. My 15 year old, kept their attention and answered all of their questions. We let them temp our pork holding in the cooler. They made us rearrange our hand washing station and gigged us for not having a "cleanable floor". The HD guy suggested a tarp on the ground. I'm really not sure having a tripping hazard next to hot smokers is worth the ability to wipe up a spill that would otherwise disappear in the grass.

My second complaint (and this shows how twisted I have become) was the lack of trophies. We received our two best calls ever (this is our first season), a second in ribs and fourth in pork and no plastic pig trophy. The payouts were quite generous, but geez I want my plastic pig trophy!

Here are some pics. Hope folks don't mind. If you see a pic and what me to remove it, PM me.

100_3109.jpg

100_3084.jpg

100_3085.jpg

100_3086.jpg

100_3087.jpg

100_3088.jpg

100_3089.jpg

100_3091.jpg

100_3092.jpg

100_3093.jpg

100_3094.jpg

100_3095.jpg

100_3096.jpg

100_3097.jpg

100_3099.jpg

100_3100.jpg

The BIG guy was the HD police. Now that I look twice at this pic, it is kinda scary!!!

100_3101.jpg

100_3102.jpg

100_3103.jpg

100_3104.jpg

100_3105.jpg

100_3106.jpg

100_3107.jpg

100_3108.jpg

They made us rearrange our hand washing station and gigged us for not having a "cleanable floor". The HD guy suggested a tarp on the ground.

So, you didn't have a ground cover, what was the result of that? Did they make you put one down, fine you, not let you turn in, what was the result?

So, you didn't have a ground cover, what was the result of that? Did they make you put one down, fine you, not let you turn in, what was the result?

They just said next time to put one down. They were actually very nice and reasonable. Like I said, my 15 year old daughter dealt with them, and it was fine. It was just the timing that was bad. I think I literally said to myself "are you kidding me?" :-D

One of my questions from this event was:

Do all competitions do this?

I have only been to 4 and that was just to visit and learn.

Thanks.

wallace

It was our teams 1st comp. Had a great time, cant get over how nice all the other teams were to us gave us lots of help. Can not wait to get to the next one. Great bunch of people. Our team was the 1st to get hit by the HD guys. Was hoping to see a pic of our team.

Somehow loud, rude, sirius radio has an effect on people. They stopped by to probe our brisket, and yes they did santize, and left without as much as thanks. Musta been the Avenged Sevenfold or Rob Zombie, dunno.:twitch:

Back